Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

interchangeable parts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 06:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default interchangeable parts?

what suspension or drivetrain parts, minus engine and tranny, can i use on my xj from a zj grand cherokee (94 model)?

i think i have read that i can use the lower control arms because they are longer. can i use the uppers to even out for the lowers being longer? if its 4x4 then i can use the axles, right? then i would have 4 wheel disc brakes? the idler or pitman arms can be used because they are a little longer and work with a lift, right? so basically, i need all the stuff that bolts to the outside of the vehicle? it probably will have the radiator and wiring harness/ecu, so i can grab those and then swap my stuff over so i can have almost a high output motor? (when i find a head or intake to go with it?)

what do you fellas say, is this all go or no?
Old 04-01-2010, 08:07 AM
CF Veteran

no body knows? i searched and had found little hints here or there that this or that fits but i cannot find the threads anymore so if anyone has done any of this stuff, say so because i am going over to look at hte parts truck today. if i don't hear anything i am just going to bring a tape measure and start measuring to see what will work or not and hten get back to you guys
Old 04-01-2010, 08:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by superj
what suspension or drivetrain parts, minus engine and tranny, can i use on my xj from a zj grand cherokee (94 model)?

i think i have read that i can use the lower control arms because they are longer. can i use the uppers to even out for the lowers being longer? if its 4x4 then i can use the axles, right? then i would have 4 wheel disc brakes? the idler or pitman arms can be used because they are a little longer and work with a lift, right? so basically, i need all the stuff that bolts to the outside of the vehicle? it probably will have the radiator and wiring harness/ecu, so i can grab those and then swap my stuff over so i can have almost a high output motor? (when i find a head or intake to go with it?)

what do you fellas say, is this all go or no?
you can interchange ALL front end parts, if 4.o almost everything except the body from the windsheild forward, Some had AW4 tranny like the XJ, Seats with modification. Front Suspension is the same as XJ. Rear axel is not interchangable without MAJOR modification, ZJ has coil spring , XJ leafs. You can addapt the rear disc brakes to your XJ. Steering box turns a little tighter. Wheels pre-97.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989 Limited 2 door
Engine: 279 stroker w/ported HO head and LS-1 valves

It sounds like ur thinking a bunch of stuff swaps and it kinda does, well sorta kinda, and only if you really need the stuff. Definitel;y not worth having a ZJ carcus laying around

Of course a bunch of the motor stuff does if it is a 4.0, tranny and transfer cases interchange as well but also came on the XJ so why? A bunch of the front suspension stuff does but you can buy better stuff from the after market

I have like 3 ZJ parts on mine, ZJ pitman arm and a couple others that are so obscure they don't even come to mind, but I remember that day at the wrecking yard....the skies were blue, it was an unusually warm spring day, the birds were singing, and there was the smell of fresh....whoa sorry wrong memory
Old 04-01-2010, 11:11 AM
CF Veteran

well, i am hoping to put the rest of my lift on this weekend and i heard the lower control arms were longer and could be used until a person got longer control arms. i don't have the longer ones yet so i was going to put htese on for now.

the pitman arm is longer? how much? i asked him specifically about that and he said it was there and in good shape so i am going to find out how much it is new to see if its worth buying frmo the guy.

i knew the rear axle is coil spring but i imagine its not to hard to weld spring seats/plates on, right? then it would just be hook up the brake lines and get a different proportioning valve, i imagine
Old 04-03-2010, 10:52 AM
CF Veteran

Why would you convert a ZJ axle to a XJ? It'll be either be a D35 or Aluminum D44, Both of which are far weaker than a XJ C8.25. If you want coils in the back, then convert a C8.25. ZJ is poor chice for Coil conversion.

Theres more to it than welding on some spring plates, there control arm brackets, shock bracket trackbar brackets, Building a upper bucket or mount in the the body of the XJ. ZJ disc brakes can be addapted to XJ, easier.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:54 AM
CF Veteran

ZJ Front suspension is IDENTICAL to a XJ, Except for the tie rod with SOME V8 models.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:34 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 HO

I believe the pitman arm is 1" longer.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:38 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0I6

I have some ZJ parts on my XJ.
- tie rod and drag link from a V8
- 242 transfer case skid plate drilled to fit
- gas tank skid plate drilled to fit
Old 04-03-2010, 05:52 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by ceejay612
I have some ZJ parts on my XJ.
- tie rod and drag link from a V8
- 242 transfer case skid plate drilled to fit
- gas tank skid plate drilled to fit
If it has the skids I will pull them.

I am not wanting to convert to coils. If it has 3.73 gears I will put its axles onto my cherokee by welding the seats onto the axle housing so I can use my leafs on the grand cherokee rear end. I have the dana 35 already because I have an older cherokee so its not a a loss to get another d35. The upgrade would be disc brakes instead of drums and hopefully, 3.73 gears.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:37 AM

Im lookin to swap my 96 zj front axle with a xj front axle for the high pinion and I was wondering if its straight bolt on or not and aslo what year xj should I be looking for?