Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Instant neutral, Transfer case or transmission??

Old 01-11-2010, 10:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Instant neutral, Transfer case or transmission??

Driving down the Interstate last week, just fine, suddenly it's like someone put the car in neutral. coasted to a stop, when i put in Park, there was a fine grinding, BUT car still wanted to roll down hill in park,
tried rev,d,3,2 etc, nothing.
also tried in 4wd, nothing.
when th etow truck got there, it was pulled about 3 or 4 feet while still in park before i put in neutral.
when unloaded , park worked fine, so i started it up, went into reverse and drive fine.
today it slipped some in first, changed to second, i stopped, drove more but with no slipping.
I'm thinking, or hoping filter stopped up, or maybe pump in trans.

i change the fluid and filter every year, except last year(6 months ago) just changed the fluid.
daily driver, taken care off, never any problems, never any slipping in the trans.
its 96 cherokee, 4.0 auto trans with command trac.

this weekend i changed the fluid and filter and the transfer case fluid.

have movement now, but its like its in between 2 and 4 wheel drive
also if i switch to the 4x4 Neutral, it doesnt actually go into neutral(the 4x4 neutral), and the selector will physically not go into 4 low

can the transfer case be stuck in between gears and effect the transmission????

someone told me it might have a viscous "connection" in the tcase instead of an actual gear

when i first take off its will throw you back in the seat, but after that its almost like the tranny is slipping, bit feels like i'm in 4low, but i'm not

trying to narrow down if this is mechanical or elelectrical
and hopefully the t case not the whole tranny

anybody have any thoughts ideas or wisdom?

greatly appreciated!!!!!!
Old 01-11-2010, 03:40 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 91
Engine: 5.9

Im no expert and could be totaly wrong here but if it has the comand track its a good chance its electrical. I dont know that much about them though and thats why I try to stear clear of the newer stuff and rebuild the old mechanicle stuff.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by joe bob
Im no expert and could be totaly wrong here but if it has the comand track its a good chance its electrical. I dont know that much about them though and thats why I try to stear clear of the newer stuff and rebuild the old mechanicle stuff.
if it was elec issue it would still drive when manually put into gear...because you are moving the spools in the valve body manually.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 91
Engine: 5.9

Like I said Im no expert but I did have a chrystler once that even if you put the shift lever in low/1st gear it would go through low and then shift to neutral. Turns out it was a problem in the computer.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

Sounds to me like your Transfer Linkage got screwed up and you are between gears instead of in the gear the selector is set to. Take a look at the TC linkage underneath on the TC itself. Since the TC gear selctor will not physically go to the 4LO position and it is not in Nuetral when Nuetral is selected that is another couple of things telling me your linkage is misaligned and that you need to adjust it back to the correct place.