Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Installing lift... stuck. Ugh.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991, 1997
Model: Cherokee
Default Installing lift... stuck. Ugh.

Hello, all. First off, I apologize that this is my first post and I haven't formally introduced myself. I'll add an introduction as soon as I'm done with this thing, I promise!

Ok, so I've got a 91 Sport that I'm putting a 3" Rough Country lift on. I decided to do the front first since I figured it would be the hardest (apparently I was right). Now, I've got the shocks off and the old springs out but can't get the axle to droop enough to get the new springs in. Not even close. Also, I had to use a spring compressor to get the old ones out. I did notice that the control arms are resting on the lower shock mounts when I let the axle down and I'm fairly sure that's what's keeping it from going down any further, though I haven't really seen anything posted about that on here that I can recall (I've been lurking for a while now).

I suppose my question is this: am I destined to remove the control arms to get the springs on? I have no air here, just hand tools, and I gave the control arm bolt a try but it's not making it easy on me so I was hoping there was another option. If I have to pull it I have to pull it but was hoping I could get some advice from someone with a bit more experience than I've got.

Thanks in advance to anyone that chimes in!

One other question... with the arms hitting the mount, it makes me wonder how that's going to effect the flexing aspect of this. Are different control arms in my future? If so, suggestions would be really cool. Thanks again!

Last edited by TheShayne; 03-29-2010 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Forgot my other question!
Old 03-29-2010, 03:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remove the brake lines from calipers and jack up one side of the axle as high as you can. Thats how I got my 3in RC springs in. Do same for the other side.It drops the opposite side way down.I did'nt even use a spring compressor at all.Also ,disconect the swaybar links.

Last edited by troy fritz; 03-29-2010 at 03:33 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:31 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6

i would think that taking off the swaybar might help you. i took mine off to put on a drop bracket, but i'm not sure if i would have been able to put the springs in with the swaybar and the calipers still attached.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:36 PM

Thanks for the info so far, guys. I've got to take my daughter to the book fair, but I'll try the side to side deal when I get back. I should have also mentioned that I did disconnect the sway bar, sorry about that.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:28 PM

Year: 89
Engine: 4.0

STOP DUDE, just take ur brake cals off, dont take the brake line off. waste of time. having to rebleed them. then it will drop enogh. taking the control arms off is a pain when u put them back on.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:34 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

Or you could rent a spring compressor (usually for free) to put them in and save yourself all of that hassle.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:36 PM

Default Jeep

X2 on the spring compressors
you can rent them from auto zone
Old 03-29-2010, 04:46 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L I6

I had the same problem on mine. I actually notched my shock mount brackets where they were resting on the arms. That gave me a couple more inches to work with and I used an external spring compressor (but I was installing 4.5" coils). I used a 4" grinder with a cut off wheel and I did it with the LCAs still attached.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:49 PM

Yeah, I'm just gonna pull the calipers. I have to bleed the brakes anyway, but it's just easier. I already have the spring compressor, but it just seems like they won't compress it enough to pop it in. Anyway, I'm heading to the garage now. I'll report back after I get them in or put a ratchet through the door.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:24 PM

Well, I got the front done. Used the side to side deal like Troy said, the spring compressor, a huge pry bar and a BFH. Worked like a charm. Thanks for the input, guys. Hopefully the back isn't as much of a pain... I'll get to that tomorrow. Man, I miss using air tools.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:27 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by TheShayne
Well, I got the front done. Used the side to side deal like Troy said, the spring compressor, a huge pry bar and a BFH. Worked like a charm. Thanks for the input, guys. Hopefully the back isn't as much of a pain... I'll get to that tomorrow. Man, I miss using air tools.
more than likely you'll break all four of the upper shock mount bolts in the rear. so, for tonight, start reading up the threads on that.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:29 PM

Yep, already saw the info on that. No worries, I had to deal with that issue on my 97 last summer.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: '99
Engine: 4.o

Did you notch the axle side mount? Its a real good idea. I did it before I even lifted a jeep. And I hope you already started spraying down those rear leaf bolts.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:54 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by brutalxj
Did you notch the axle side mount? Its a real good idea. I did it before I even lifted a jeep. And I hope you already started spraying down those rear leaf bolts.
X2. yupp. pb blaster all u-bolts. pretty much if you gotta put a wrench on it and there are threads it takes pb blaster.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 96
Engine: 4.0

hopefully u dont snap the leaf bolt off in the frame. i did that on mine i had to cut the leaf bolt with a sawzal and then cut open a hole in the leaf hanger to get a nut up in there to get the damn thing back on

Quick Reply: Installing lift... stuck. Ugh.