Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Installing extra fuel filters?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 08:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Installing extra fuel filters?

I just have purchase a Cherokee sport 97 to take it to Haiti for 2 yrs, where I expect gas to be dirty and unreliable. My first idea was to replace my fuel filter often, but this is not very feasible in my jeep model, because the filter goes inside the gas tank, and to replace it I'll need to remove the tank every time I replace the fuel filter. I was wondering if it is possible to install an additional regular fuel filter by cutting the gas line at a certain point. What do you think? If you this it is a good idea, where will you advise to install it? I realize this will not protect the fuel pump from clogging, so it may not be worth the effort...
Old 06-16-2011, 01:15 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: INLINE 6, safari snorkel, kn airfilter, flowmaster 10 series exaust

Taking the tank off takes less than 20 minutes......3 retaining nuts(same size), 1 electrical connection, 1 pressurized fuel line, and 1 return line. It's a very easy task if you are low on fuel. Another option is the cut a hole in your floor up top and make an access door. Really simple too, unless you are looking to retain a beautiful interior. The stock filter is great, but gets clogged if your prefilter at the bottom of the assembly falls off. I've burned up a pump because the prefilter fell off. I had sand in my tank at the time. You really don't require an extra one, but I would suggest taking the assembly off and verifying it's in good working order, your prefilter is still attached, and your tank is clean. PREVENATIVE MAINTENANCE. check the pressure on your rail too(free at autozone). That will let you know if you have any issues. Good luck.

inscribed via iPhone4 on xjForum using the swaybars that aren't on my Jeep