Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Couple questions, interesting story =)

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Couple questions, interesting story =)

I just purchased an XJ that is titled as a 2000, black, SE 4x2.

It's actually a red, Limited 4x4. Yes, the VINs match on the title and the vehicle. I traced it back to having been titled incorrectly by the state. Insurance is cheaper on a 4x2 than a 4x4 so I'm leaving it alone. But, that answers why I can't just call and ask the dealership this question..

I have a Chrysler 8.25 rear end. Just changed the fluid in it over the weekend, and refilled with Valvoline Synthetic 75w90 w/LS additive. Today I noticed a hefty grinding sound from the rear end when barely on the throttle (not present before fluid change). I also have vibration from 10 to 25 mph (this vibration was there before the fluid change), and a bit of slack or a 'clunk' when I am on/off the throttle quickly (also existed before fluid change).

I just changed the u-joints in the rear drive shaft.

So, the big question:

Were all Corporation 8.25s made in 2000-2001 equipped with trac loc?

I'm trying to find out so I can decide whether to put the additive in there or not.

While changing the fluid, I didn't pay just a ton of attention, but it definitely looked like it had a carrier in there.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:52 AM

if u had the cover off then u should have seen if it had lsd if it was a issue of additive it would bind on turns and chatter sounds like u got some pinion bearing problems if the fluid was extremely dirty and or mettalic sometimes changing it brings out the noises
Old 06-15-2011, 10:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: I6 4.0L

Not all 8.25 had the track lock option. I've always heard the additive won't hurt either way.. I don't have the track option but add it anyways because if the light towing I do.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 stock

I hope it had a carrier in the housing

No not all 8.25's where equipped with trac lock. Easiest way to tell if you have a limited slip is to pull the cover and look. Some will say to jack up the rear and spin one tire and watch to see if the other spins in the same direction but if you have a track lock that is worn out that is an unreliable test.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:08 AM

Thanks for the replies folks. I'll just go ahead and pull it this week some time to make sure. I don't know a ton about differentials so I'll snap some pictures and post here for inspection ;P
Old 06-15-2011, 01:46 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: ERH 4.0L 16 Power Tech

"But, that answers why I can't just call and ask the dealership this question.."

The dealership will have the correct information regarding your vehicle. The state titled it incorrectly which has zero impact on manufacturer information.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by waltermitty
"But, that answers why I can't just call and ask the dealership this question.."

The dealership will have the correct information regarding your vehicle. The state titled it incorrectly which has zero impact on manufacturer information.
Let me re-phrase that. The MOS from the factory was incorrect, which was forwarded to the state, resulting in an incorrect title and incorrect record in Chrysler's system; pulling the VIN at the dealership shows a 2000, black, se, 4x2 Cherokee. This (my red) Cherokee has the dealer's decal on the back still (worn and old looking) and in the engine bay has the exact same "recall service work performed" sticker on the passenger side firewall as what shows when the dealer pulls the VIN, so it's very likely the same vehicle.

It has had two owners - myself and the original. The (original) title I received had Chrysler financing as the lien holder, signed off clear, with the original "MOS" designation at the top under previous title number.

Pretty interesting situation. My loan officer who I've banked with for just over six years said he's seen it a few times, so it's not unheard of.

I'll never know if I'm right or not; I made an effort to find out, and it's resolved to my satisfaction, as well as the originating dealer's.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: ERH 4.0L 16 Power Tech

Interesting story! Thanks for taking the time to share and the additional explanation.