Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Install a class 3 hitch on an 01 cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Install a class 3 hitch on an 01 cherokee

I have a 2001 Cherokee and I want to install a hitch on it. Through this forum I have found that I have the part number for the nut strip that does not come on the driver side and I was looking at the way the frame is done and I think the rear bumper will need to come off. Do I need to pull the bumper and if so how do I pull it off. And does anyone know of an easier way to install an after market hitch? I purchased a used one off craigslist so unfortunately it did not come with an install kit.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:48 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: Inline 6

here's a video i found. it's for a 2000, but i imagine it should be the same.

http://www.etrailer.com/tv-Hitch-Ins...-Cherokee.aspx
Old 01-14-2010, 10:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: '89
Engine: 242

Originally Posted by shooter5635
here's a video i found. it's for a 2000, but i imagine it should be the same.

http://www.etrailer.com/tv-Hitch-Ins...-Cherokee.aspx
Yeah this hitch is great! My Jeep had a class 3 hitch like this already on it, when I bought it. Comes in REAL handy!
Old 01-14-2010, 10:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: I6 4.0L

I said screw the nut strips and drilled through the c-channel. I used 1"w X1/4"thick X Long steel strapping on the inside of the cab. I then used 1/2" grade 8 bolts (6) through the steel straps and bolted it in place. Super strong and tight.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 91
Engine: '96 4.0

The nutstrips are the way I did it. About 20 minutes to remove/install bumper. And another 10 to install the hitch. I used JCRoffroad nutstrips and am VERY happy with the product.

http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/...egory_Code=DPL

Unbolt the bumper from the brackets if your bumper is bent and can't get a ratchet up in there. There are 2 bolts on each side of the bumper holding it to the bracket. Then each bracket have 4 bolts on it. It's pretty easy to do if you have small hands.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:37 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

Well that video looks really easy because they had that handy tool that fish hooked all he bolts into place.
Its impossible to do that without that tool with the bumper on.

I bought a jy hitch and instaleed it today actually.
Had to take off the bumper with the brackets with four bolts on each side.

Now the right side came with a nut strip that you can buy from jcr ofroad, there about 39 bucks shipped but totally recommend it since it strenghtens the bracing and will save you a headache.

Since mine came with one it was ok, The left side had those square washers from that video posted up. At first it was hard since i didnt have that nice tool. So wat i did was use those handy magnets for mechanics to do the same concept as that fishing tool.

Got the bolt close to the hole and used the magnet from the bottom of the hole and a long screw driver to get tose bolts in since your hand cant fit.

But in your case i would get the nut strips since you have no hardware to work with. Check out JCR.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:38 PM

Year: 1991

Haha beat me to it.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:45 PM

Engine: I6 4.0

I ripped a hitch of a ZJ and touched it up...

then ordered the nut strips from JCR: http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/...ry_Code=XJMISC

Took 20 Mins to install.

Last edited by Ramac; 01-15-2010 at 12:02 AM.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:23 PM

Engine: 4.0 S 205k miles

Tip for fishing bolts.

I use a fairly flexable but still stiff enough wire and string.

Feed the wire between the bolt hole and where the bolt will be put in. Depending on the situation which one would be the starting hole. Once the wire is sticking out both ends, tye/wrap/tape the string to the bolt and attach the string to the wire, pull and fish the wire back thru the channel and till you can pull the bolt threads thru and down into the hole.

Did this method for both rear shock and trailer hitch. Lot easier than attempting to fight the bolt most other ways.

Another tip for I used, if the bolts just do not align perfectly, grind off about 2 or 3 threads but leaving the shank. Cleanup the threads so they will still work on the nuts. This will help self aligning of the bolt to the nut and prevent cross threading. If one notices, on the Cherokee, or at least mine, many of the bolts are this way to begin with.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:03 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 93

you can make your own nut strips too, i did. pull the bumper off there are four bolts on each side, behind the bumper mounts there are holes in those holes slide a piece of flat bar in there i used 3/16ths, mark the holes from underneath then drill and tap or drill and weld nuts then there is your strip