Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Injector problem after gaskets replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Exclamation Injector problem after gaskets replacement.

Hey guys, so long story short, i blew a head gasket and then replace my head gasket, valve cover gasket, intake/exhaust mani gasket.

After the rebuild the engine refused to start. All new plugs were put in and battery is charged.

Finally got the engine to start if i floored it and held the ingnition down for like 10 seconds then it would start.

Now the problem is idol RPM is at like 200-500RPM and the engine is running odd.

WE noticed that when we un plugged the 3rd from the front and the 2nd from the front Fuel Injectors the engine was un effected, while when unplugging all the other ones it would change the engine state.

So we cleaned and tested all the injectors on our air compressor and same issue. I just bought 2 new injectors but we decided to switch the first injector which is fine with the 3rd and STILL when we unplug it nothing happens to the engine state.

Please help guys this is the 8th day my daily driver has been down.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:24 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 high output straight 6

The fuel injector wiring can get really brittle since it is ran over an extremely hot area. I suggest you chase down the loom and wiggle it in different areas for the wiring of each effected injector and see if the come to life. If so you will need to cut and solder in new wires for the injector harness.

Also double check that you didnt pinch the wiring anywhere when you were bolting it all back together.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

take a compression check on the two cyls ,possible issue with head between the two ,or vacuum leak in the area,spark plug wires crossed

Last edited by freegdr; 09-24-2011 at 12:45 AM.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:29 AM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 HO

My mechanic friend showed me a cool trick with an ordinary test light. You bend a paper clip, stick it in one side of the electrical connector for the fuel inejector, and then clip the test light alligator clip to the paper clip, and touch the probe of the test light to the other terminal in the injector plug...TADA! The test light pulsed...He started laughing at me, and went to the other side of the engine and switched 2 of the spark plug wires that i had crossed .....i now have a sewing machine on steroids for an engine! Just sayin this might be a good way to make sure the injectors are getting pulse....
Old 09-24-2011, 10:15 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 high output straight 6

Originally Posted by Cherokee40
My mechanic friend showed me a cool trick with an ordinary test light. You bend a paper clip, stick it in one side of the electrical connector for the fuel inejector, and then clip the test light alligator clip to the paper clip, and touch the probe of the test light to the other terminal in the injector plug...TADA! The test light pulsed...He started laughing at me, and went to the other side of the engine and switched 2 of the spark plug wires that i had crossed .....i now have a sewing machine on steroids for an engine! Just sayin this might be a good way to make sure the injectors are getting pulse....
That's a great tip right there!
Old 09-24-2011, 11:02 AM

well we used a voltage tester and all the plugs are getting around 4 volts.

And we checked all the wires and I labeled them before dis assembly and there all in the right spot.

And it doesnt mis fire or anything it just acts like its not getting enough gas or something.

I was reading up on this forum and were going to checkout the TPS today and make sure all the voltage is right there.

Im going to take out all the plugs we installed and double check them and re-seed them, i might mess with the wires and see if a label got messed up or something.