Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Injector air leak

Old 05-28-2013, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Injector air leak

Hello. So I've been having a slight "ssssss" sound coming from the fuel rail area and after wiggling around the injectors for a while, I know the sound is from either end of 1 or 2 injectors. I'm going to assume that the leak is coming from the ?top? of the injector where it connects to the fuel rail. When looking at it from the front it appears that the injector or fuel rail is slightly angled too far up, or the injectors are angled wrong somehow. These injectors are about 1 year old and just recently have I noticed this sound when I pop the hood. The O rings should be in great condition.
What should I do? I don't think the fuel rail needs to be angled down more but I don't see how the injectors would be angled too far up. I'm thinking the easiest solution would be to rub some high temp rtv all the way around the little clip that is suppose to hold the injectors on the fuel rail, creating an air-tight seal. I would think this would be safe, but was hoping for opinions and possibly better ideas or an actual fix. Thank you for your time.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by Dfread
Hello. So I've been having a slight "ssssss" sound coming from the fuel rail area and after wiggling around the injectors for a while, I know the sound is from either end of 1 or 2 injectors. I'm going to assume that the leak is coming from the ?top? of the injector where it connects to the fuel rail. When looking at it from the front it appears that the injector or fuel rail is slightly angled too far up, or the injectors are angled wrong somehow. These injectors are about 1 year old and just recently have I noticed this sound when I pop the hood. The O rings should be in great condition.
What should I do? I don't think the fuel rail needs to be angled down more but I don't see how the injectors would be angled too far up. I'm thinking the easiest solution would be to rub some high temp rtv all the way around the little clip that is suppose to hold the injectors on the fuel rail, creating an air-tight seal. I would think this would be safe, but was hoping for opinions and possibly better ideas or an actual fix. Thank you for your time.
I think you're making a church out of a chit house.

Pull the rail/injectors, clean the injector ports in the intake manifold to make them spotless, inspect the injector ports in the rail for corrosion at the bottom of the port where the injector o-ring would seat (little you can do if there's heavy corrosion), install new o-rings (Felpro), oil the o-rings, reinstall the rail/injectors.

Ops/leak check.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000

Originally Posted by CCKen
I think you're making a church out of a chit house.

Pull the rail/injectors, clean the injector ports in the intake manifold to make them spotless, inspect the injector ports in the rail for corrosion at the bottom of the port where the injector o-ring would seat (little you can do if there's heavy corrosion), install new o-rings (Felpro), oil the o-rings, reinstall the rail/injectors.

Ops/leak check.
Alrighty, took the injectors out and two o rings on the bottom ones were slightly bent in which allowed a little bit of air in. The "sssss" is gone now, thanks.