Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Info on Lift needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Info on Lift needed

looking to lift a 99 3". Question is with all the kits out there, some have brake exts, some have new pittman arms, some have transfer case adapters. What do I really need to make it work right. I have a YJ with a 4" lift and had to add all those things, but don't know how much is needed on a XJ for a 3" lift to run 31's.

Tks
Old 10-10-2010, 09:52 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L, CAI, Edelbrock Breather, Optima Yellowtop

Originally Posted by Steamintrain
looking to lift a 99 3". Question is with all the kits out there, some have brake exts, some have new pittman arms, some have transfer case adapters. What do I really need to make it work right. I have a YJ with a 4" lift and had to add all those things, but don't know how much is needed on a XJ for a 3" lift to run 31's.

Tks
I've been researching the 3 inch lift for a while now and You really don't need much to make it work properly. With the XJ, if you go over 3 inches you will need a new pitman arm and transfer case adapter. If you stay within the 3 inch range, all you will need is a kit with new coils, shocks, extended brake lines, an add a leaf, and you will need some way to extend the rear sway bar. That's about it really. It's pretty straight forward.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

all you need is the lift, you dont even need new shocks if you dont mind them going out on you. Only thing i can think you may need is a SYE or TC drop if you get driveline vibes after the lift, but I'm pretty sure that happens to most people in the 4.5" range very few get them in the 3" range that i've heard.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:10 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Steamintrain

Tks
-You looking at shocks all the way around
-A new brakeline for the rear (dont go with a crappy relocation type deal)
-You may benefit from new lower control arms, but stock ones can put up with a 3 in lift
-New coils for the front, along with new sway bar links, or quick disconnects
-Add a leafs for the rear, or whole new leaf packs (which i recommend)
-Delete the rear sway bar, you wont need it...just keep the front
-Shims for the rear to keep your pinion angle correct, (2.5 deg should do)
-I would get a transfer case drop, lift it first and drive it to see if you get vibes, if you do then you can put it on......

I think i covered everything, dont forget to anti seize everything you put bolt back up, and pb blast everything for a week or so before you do the lift