Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

indecision.... bad!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 08:40 PM
Registered Users

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default indecision.... bad!!!

I'm so torn between lifts right now.... i want 4.5" but i don't want to buy a sye on top of a 5 or 6 hundred dollar lift. if i did that i would have no money for tires or rims....and a 3" just seems like it is going to be to small... i don't plan on doing any serious offroading for a while because i am moving to the city for college so it will basically be a tar bunny for a year or so. see the highways on the weekend drives home. i plan on running 31s to. just seems like a pita to have to buy a sye and driveshaft just to go up 4.5"? please someone make my mind up for me!! Its driving me up the wall!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-10-2009, 08:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by kilbrethj
I'm so torn between lifts right now.... i want 4.5" but i don't want to buy a sye on top of a 5 or 6 hundred dollar lift. if i did that i would have no money for tires or rims....and a 3" just seems like it is going to be to small... i don't plan on doing any serious offroading for a while because i am moving to the city for college so it will basically be a tar bunny for a year or so. see the highways on the weekend drives home. i plan on running 31s to. just seems like a pita to have to buy a sye and driveshaft just to go up 4.5"? please someone make my mind up for me!! Its driving me up the wall!!!!!!!!!!!!
I run a 3.5 inch Rubicon Express with a 242 T-case with 31 inch Yoko Mud Terrains without a problem. My tires do hit my fenders off road but i don't care. My drivetrain is bone stock
Old 02-10-2009, 08:48 PM
Resident Pirate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001

just do a 3-3.5 inch lift with full packs that way you could shackle it later if you wanted it higher.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0L HO

My idea would be to buy a used lift if you must then upgrade at a later date if you deem applicable. I would check craigslist, I seem to find them weekly or even daily for a complete used lift. It is not as easy to find the larger ones above 4.5 though around here that is.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:10 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 01
Engine: 4.0L I6

4.5" and 31's might look small. and for that much lift you will more than likely need an sye.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998

Originally Posted by fivendime
My idea would be to buy a used lift if you must then upgrade at a later date if you deem applicable. I would check craigslist, I seem to find them weekly or even daily for a complete used lift. It is not as easy to find the larger ones above 4.5 though around here that is.
man i wish the local ppl around my area would list this kind of stuff on craigslist
Old 02-10-2009, 09:15 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6 HO

i have a 4.5 on mine and i didn't need an sye or custom driveshaft...i maybe just lucky tho...
Old 02-10-2009, 09:15 PM
Resident Pirate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001

Originally Posted by xjrev10
man i wish the local ppl around my area would list this kind of stuff on craigslist

x2
Old 02-10-2009, 09:18 PM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

FWIW, I have over 6"s of lift on my XJ with a T-case drop kit, and have no issues with vibrations at all. Some folks may have had problems, but not me. I've seen several folk go to 4.5"s of lift+, and not need a SYE kit. Just pointing that out, HTH!! Laters!!
Old 02-10-2009, 09:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0L HO

^ I dont know why so many people off load there lifts around here but I can sometimes get a 6.5 for 400 bucks and 3's for 100. Too bad you guys aren't around here huh.

I have a combined 5" lift with no SYE, and no vibrations. Doesn't mean I shouldn't have one but just saying.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:18 PM

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 soon to be gc ho 4.0

i have 4.5 lift. 231 t cas. 1 inch t case drop came with kit. and i have no vibrations. you could always get some shims as well if you have vibes.....some need it some dont. i know my 96 with 4.5 and 1 inch t case drop had no issues at full throttle and full flex i never broke any drive lines or had vibes just my experience, everyones different. the guy who sold me my lift told me i HAD to have a sye but i never got one and my drive line angles were fine. still had plenty left in yoke.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

what is the point of the big lift when you lower the lowest point on your jeep down?

an sye has more benefits to it than just to get rid of vibrations.

imo every wheeled jeep should have one
Old 02-10-2009, 11:26 PM
Do you hear banjos?

I wheel mine without one, and it works great, so I guess we'll have to disagree on this one. Do I want one...you bet!! I plan on getting one ASAP, but not "every" wheeled Jeep has to have one, sorry!! I've been wheeling for years without one on several different Jeeps, and have yet to have an issue due to the T-case drop. Nor have I noticed major clearance issues due to them either.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by COSXJFAN
I wheel mine without one, and it works great, so I guess we'll have to disagree on this one. Do I want one...you bet!! I plan on getting one ASAP, but not "every" wheeled Jeep has to have one, sorry!! I've been wheeling for years without one on several different Jeeps, and have yet to have an issue due to the T-case drop. Nor have I noticed major clearance issues due to them either.
they arent all that expensive.

if you break a shaft, you don't need to duct tape a gatorade bottle to your tailhousing to limp home in front wheel drive.

If you have an automatic equipeed xj with a chrysler or dana44 rear axle you can carry one spare shaft.

if you jump your driveshaft won't bind and rip your transfercase to pieces.

more ground clearance over a t-case drop

more ground clearance at the pinion (shimming for proper driveline angles)

if ya think its smooth now, install one then come back to me. I had a stock shaft at a 3" lift for a while, and light vibes on decelleration that eventually went away, then i bumped it up to 5" and noticed no vibrations. then i installed an sye and it was noticably smoother.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:13 AM
Do you hear banjos?

I know there are REAL advantages to running one, but to say that ALL wheeled Jeeps have to have one is a little over the top in my book that's all I'm saying.

Quick Reply: indecision.... bad!!!