Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Improved gas malage. How did it hapen???

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 01:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Improved gas malage. How did it hapen???

OK! This is really strange. But, I'm as happy as a pig in s#@t! Today while driving I looked at my gas gauge and it read 1/8 tank then I looked at my miles and it read 403 miles. I normally get any where from 300-325 on a tank of gas. My question is. What would make my mileage per tank increase so much? I have a 1998, 4.0, 4x4, 30x9.50-15 tires. I have done no maintenance to it other then check all the fluids but no tune ups or anything else. I just hope that I keep getting mileage like this. And No I'm not complaining just curious how could this happen???
Old 04-30-2012, 01:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: HO4.0 I6

Originally Posted by RTorrez1
OK! This is really strange. But, I'm as happy as a pig in s#@t! Today while driving I looked at my gas gauge and it read 1/8 tank then I looked at my miles and it read 403 miles. I normally get any where from 300-325 on a tank of gas. My question is. What would make my mileage per tank increase so much? I have a 1998, 4.0, 4x4, 30x9.50-15 tires. I have done no maintenance to it other then check all the fluids but no tune ups or anything else. I just hope that I keep getting mileage like this. And No I'm not complaining just curious how could this happen???

Maybe you had a lot more highway miles this tank? Did your driving differ at all? from highway to city? or anything like that? Or was this the same drive you always have?
Old 04-30-2012, 01:52 PM
CF Veteran

No extra high way miles. I live out in the middle of know where and even to get to the local market I have to drive a good 40mins to get there and it no highways there and drove all my normal routes. Actually I went out fishing a couple of time on this tank and where I go I have to through it in 4wd to get through all the sand and mud. This is why I can't figure it out.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995

No extra high way miles. I live out in the middle of know where and even to get to the local market I have to drive a good 40mins to get there and it no highways there and drove all my normal routes. Actually I went out fishing a couple of time on this tank and where I go I have to through it in 4wd to get through all the sand and mud. This is why I can't figure it out.
Are you sure you didn't throw a few bucks in to top off the tank halfway in between draining it all the way?
Old 04-30-2012, 01:54 PM

Did you fill up at the same gas station you always do?
Old 04-30-2012, 02:00 PM
CF Veteran

Nope. No extra top off. But I did go to a different gas station. I normally fill up at Shell and the last time I filled up at the walmart station and I normally get bad gas mileage with there gas but I had to or I wouldn't have made it to the next station. Hell, Maybe I should fill up there more often if it brings my mileage that much.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:05 PM

Nope. No extra top off. But I did go to a different gas station. I normally fill up at Shell and the last time I filled up at the walmart station and I normally get bad gas mileage with there gas but I had to or I wouldn't have made it to the next station. Hell, Maybe I should fill up there more often if it brings my mileage that much.
I doubt Walmart has quality fuel, but that could very well be the difference. I'm pretty sure the ethanol levels will bring your mileage up if you have less ethanol. I know everyone is going to tell ya this, but if I were you I'd just search for some threads on the topic. There are some guys on here who really know their stuff. Try running a search and see if they can help you out with previous threads.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:14 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1993

Damn you get 325 miles to a tank? I'm only pulling 200 miles to a tank on average. how many gallons can u fit in it when its empty? I only get like 15 gallons in mine.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0l

i'm with you BOD, i'm olny gettin about 200 a tank also. I started reading this and thought i was the only one.hahaa
Old 04-30-2012, 02:32 PM

I get 200 miles no matter what kind of driving I do. Sucks!!!!!
I even have a new motor.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:35 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by BODCherokee
Damn you get 325 miles to a tank? I'm only pulling 200 miles to a tank on average. how many gallons can u fit in it when its empty? I only get like 15 gallons in mine.
It's a 20 gal tank according to the build sheet.

I do know when I do have to fill up at the walmart station i usually get less miles per tank. The only thing I can think is I got lucky. Because I do know that when they put in all the additive when they when processing the fuel. They can go over the required amounts but not under. The only reason I know this is before I busted my back and put on permanent disability for them I work for a Chevron refinery.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:11 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1993

It's a 20 gal tank according to the build sheet.

I do know when I do have to fill up at the walmart station i usually get less miles per tank. The only thing I can think is I got lucky. Because I do know that when they put in all the additive when they when processing the fuel. They can go over the required amounts but not under. The only reason I know this is before I busted my back and put on permanent disability for them I work for a Chevron refinery.
yeah everything else they sell at walmart is just cheap crap so i'd assume the gas would be too.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

If I run Union 76 gas I get a couple MPG better than when I use the AM/PM crap.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:38 PM

Engine: 4.0 H.O. inline six

I get about 235 or so miles on a 20 gal. tank. stock 96 XJ. I drive like a grandma as much as I can and most driving is city. I am very surprised to hear of someone getting upwards of 400 mi. As for unexplained rise in MPG, the quality of the gas is the only thing I can think of.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:45 PM
CF Veteran

Holy crap, I get 150 miles to a tank city and maybe 200 miles on the highway...I need to get some fuel from other places(tried that), or maybe drop it back down to stock and put on some 31's...lol

Yeah, don't think thats going to happen...

Quick Reply: Improved gas malage. How did it hapen???