Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Im looking for a cheap and easy way to..

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Straight 6 Stock
Default Im looking for a cheap and easy way to..

i have a 97 cherokee sport stock 4.0 in line 6 that i wanna make a little more powerful. any cheap ways to do that?
Old 11-26-2011, 05:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 98 2 Door SE
Engine: 4.0 High Output

I bought mine after it layed for a few years & had no idea of history of maintenance. Got it running with a hot shot , drove it a few days with fuel injection cleaner it ran good.I then procedded to complete tune with Accell coil,cap rotor,bosch plugs &10 mm wires & an ebay cold air kit for 32 bucks. End result is Jeep runs good & cold air intake makes it sound a bit better. No performance increase IMO.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:23 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6 Renix

header high flow cat and exahust...
Old 11-26-2011, 09:11 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Upgrade the injectors, hi capacity air filter. A few people have seen power increases simply by wrapping their airbox in heat reflective tape (keeping the air cooler)
Old 11-26-2011, 09:15 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 92
Engine: 4.0

I put a k&n, magnaflo muffler and a bored 62.5 mm throttle body and it made mine pull really hard. It like opened up its torque
Old 11-26-2011, 10:33 PM

Year: 1999

Swapping out that fan to an electric setup always kicks it up a notch.
There are many options out there this one being my fav for the price and how complete the kit is.
http://www.dirtboundoffroad.com/feat...onversion-kit/
Old 11-26-2011, 10:43 PM
Registered Users

Alright k&n filters are garbage..don't do that.. a CAI is garbage don't do that!
703 injectors, you can bore you throttle body in about 15 minutes...

Matter of fact follow here.'
http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/diary.html
I done most of that and its worth it...intake manifold heat sheild was the easiest and probably the best so far!
Old 11-27-2011, 09:34 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Kamaran
Alright k&n filters are garbage..don't do that.. a CAI is garbage don't do that!
703 injectors, you can bore you throttle body in about 15 minutes...

Matter of fact follow here.'
http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/diary.html
I done most of that and its worth it...intake manifold heat sheild was the easiest and probably the best so far!
K&n filters are junk? Wait till the 10 billion people that have em find out! Haha an engine will ONLY make as much power as air it can get in. Name a more reputable hi flow filter.... before you go doing injectors you need to.address smaller issues. A/f, then exhaust, then t.b., then injectors. If you just do a bored tb and injectors breathing thru a stock a/c it wouldn't do as much for you. So increased air flow is the goal. More in more out through a nice muffler. But the injectors are important b/c with more air you need more fuel to match or you will come out lean.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0L HO

Mechanical fan delete and exhaust will do the most for you.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:23 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Kopecki
Mechanical fan delete and exhaust will do the most for you.
You guys put alot of faith in your electric fan when you completely eliminate the mechanical fan. Do you add an extra fan or just try to run on the one the auxiliary a/c fan?
Old 11-27-2011, 09:18 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Trev1006

You guys put alot of faith in your electric fan when you completely eliminate the mechanical fan. Do you add an extra fan or just try to run on the one the auxiliary a/c fan?
Swap in a new fan. I would never trust that stock AC fan to cool my rig. That's just a backup fan. I deleted that aswell. Taurus fan swap all day.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:32 PM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by Trev1006
K&n filters are junk? Wait till the 10 billion people that have em find out! Haha an engine will ONLY make as much power as air it can get in. Name a more reputable hi flow filter.... before you go doing injectors you need to.address smaller issues. A/f, then exhaust, then t.b., then injectors. If you just do a bored tb and injectors breathing thru a stock a/c it wouldn't do as much for you. So increased air flow is the goal. More in more out through a nice muffler. But the injectors are important b/c with more air you need more fuel to match or you will come out lean.
Let me rephraise..garbage in our application, and in most turbo applications...With a k&n filter you'll see small dust..more like a film of dust on the intake pipe & such..which means that also entering your motor. Good? NO! This happens cause it flows more air yes, but it also filters less at the same time! Also they need to be oiled..I come from turbo supras and such..so when I say I'd never run one. I mean it. The oil is to easily sucked trhough the filter and it cakes the turbo wheels. Not bashing K&N, just stating their filters aren't the best anymore...far from it! There just a reputable brand now lol.
Aem dry flow filters, flow more, filter more & don't need to be oiled..always the filter of choose for me!

Read the link I posted..Dino has flow tested everything! The stock airbox flows more than enough for a decent 4.6-4.7L stroker. The stock filter also provides more than enough flow and isn't a bottle neck! Is 50 bucks worth 3hp at 4500rpm? You'll never feel that difference! Why not spend 50 bucks and try to actually suck in colder air?
So yes theres litterally no gains by swapping to a k&n filter. It may sound a little more aggressive but otherwise thats it! Theres money better spent elsewhere, and even on better high flow filters like the AEM dry flow.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:35 PM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by Kopecki
Swap in a new fan. I would never trust that stock AC fan to cool my rig. That's just a backup fan. I deleted that aswell. Taurus fan swap all day.
Thats another very worthy mod..better mpg is a huge plus! Plus more response from the motor..not more power, more response..motor doesn't gain power, power is just free'd up!
Its well worth the money though. Jeep won't sound like an airplane anymore, you can turn electric fans off for water crossings, turn it off/on whenever you want! Upgrade with a purpose
Old 11-27-2011, 11:24 PM
CF Veteran

Thats another very worthy mod..better mpg is a huge plus! Plus more response from the motor..not more power, more response..motor doesn't gain power, power is just free'd up!
Its well worth the money though. Jeep won't sound like an airplane anymore, you can turn electric fans off for water crossings, turn it off/on whenever you want! Upgrade with a purpose
You are correct. Removing the clutch fan wont make your motor produce more power, but it will free up the drag that is associated with that extra pulley and clutch, which will free up some of your lost power. You will get the same effect with removing the a/c, by not nearly as much being that the clutch in the a/c compressor, when working properly will fully disengage when not in use. With that bring said, removing the a/c compressor only removes the drag caused by that pulley. Doing so will also shed a couple pounds, which is always good with these vehicles being that we are usually adding bumpers, larger tires, tools, winches, lights, roof racks, hi lifts, you name it. The less weight the better.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:13 AM
CF Veteran

Let me rephraise..garbage in our application, and in most turbo applications...With a k&n filter you'll see small dust..more like a film of dust on the intake pipe & such..which means that also entering your motor. Good? NO! This happens cause it flows more air yes, but it also filters less at the same time! Also they need to be oiled..I come from turbo supras and such..so when I say I'd never run one. I mean it. The oil is to easily sucked trhough the filter and it cakes the turbo wheels. Not bashing K&N, just stating their filters aren't the best anymore...far from it! There just a reputable brand now lol.
Aem dry flow filters, flow more, filter more & don't need to be oiled..always the filter of choose for me!

Read the link I posted..Dino has flow tested everything! The stock airbox flows more than enough for a decent 4.6-4.7L stroker. The stock filter also provides more than enough flow and isn't a bottle neck! Is 50 bucks worth 3hp at 4500rpm? You'll never feel that difference! Why not spend 50 bucks and try to actually suck in colder air?
So yes theres litterally no gains by swapping to a k&n filte r. It may sound a little more aggressive but otherwise thats it! Theres money better spent elsewhere, and even on better high flow filters like the AEM dry flow.
I kind of like the oil fact of the k&n's. Ive opened up my air box and found it wet before, I always would've believed that the oil may not let water in as fast as the dry ones? Oh and what Taurus should I get the fan from?

Quick Reply: Im looking for a cheap and easy way to..