Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

I'm installing an OEM hitch... Help?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 08:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1987 Wagoneer XJ Limited
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0
Default I'm installing an OEM hitch... Help?

Here are all the parts that came with my new OEM hitch. Anyone happen to know what the item(s) circled in yellow are used for? They are not referenced in the installation instructions.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6

looks like nut strips that slide in the unibody frame, except its missing a few nuts?
Old 12-17-2014, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0l I6

Old 12-17-2014, 11:12 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987

Fast forward to the 6:00 minute mark on that video-They use them there to help get the bolts into the holds after the hitch is on.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Handled nuts, lol.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Guess you have to buy the new nut strips extra with that kit. I received a new set with my new rear bumper HD swing out tire Bumper.

Or it that just a light duty hitch?
Old 12-18-2014, 05:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
Guess you have to buy the new nut strips extra with that kit. I received a new set with my new rear bumper HD swing out tire Bumper.

Or it that just a light duty hitch?
No-They're not nut strips. Those square plates hold the square bolt heads in place. Nuts are put on the bolts after you fish them through with the fish-wire.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by 67 GMC
No-They're not nut strips. Those square plates hold the square bolt heads in place. Nuts are put on the bolts after you fish them through with the fish-wire.
^This, that is pretty much the same hardware kit that comes with any aftermarket hitch (though some have regular nuts for the rear most bolt rather than the "handle" nuts). The square plates and carriage bolts go inside the frame rail with the fish wire and then the "regular" nuts get threaded on from below, the "handle" nut is then used for the rearmost bolt hole (you could use a hex nut too, the "handle" nut is just supposed to make it easier since it is a bit tight to get a wrench in there) and a regular hex bolt is threaded into it from below. This eliminates the need to remove the bumper to install nut strips, well in theory anyway, my Curt hitch came with a similar kit (but with regular hex nuts instead of "handle" nuts and all grade 8/class 10.9 hardware) but one of the plates got stuck in the rail at an angle and I had to pull the bumper off anyway to reach through the access hole and get it straight again, but not everyone will run into this issue. The kit also comes with hex bolts in case your jeep already has nut strips (note if your nut strips have been in for years and unused expect corrosion build up inside of the nuts and plan on cleaning the out well with a wire-brush and possibly a thread-chaser depending on how bad they are, or remove/replace the strips).

From the factory the OEM hitch used nut strips to speed assembly at the factory, but it wouldn't surprise me that an OEM hitch purchased new after the fact and installed by the owner would come with the same hardware that aftermarket kits do (especially since the XJ has now been discontinued for 13+ years, I'm sure any "Mopar" hitch is made by one of the major aftermarket hitch suppliers and just re-branded) since it is theoretically easier to install not having to remove the bumper.

Last edited by dmill89; 12-19-2014 at 08:20 PM.
Old 12-19-2014, 06:58 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by dmill89
^This, that is pretty much the same hardware kit that comes with any aftermarket hitch (though some have regular nuts for the rear most bolt rather than the "handle" nuts). The square plates and carriage bolts go inside the frame rail with the fish wire and then the "regular" nuts get threaded on from below, the "handle" nut is then used for the rearmost bolt hole (you could use a hex nut too, the "handle" nut is just supposed to make it easier since it is a bit tight to get a wrench in there) and a regular hex bolt is threaded into it from below. This eliminates the need to remove the bumper to install nut strips, well in theory anyway, my Curt hitch came with a similar kit (but with regular hex nuts instead of "handle" nuts and all grade 8/class 10.9 hardware) but one of the plates got stuck in the rail at an angle and I had to pull the bumper off anyway to reach through the access hole and get it straight again, but not everyone will run into this issue. The kit also comes with hex bolts in case your jeep already has nut strips (note if your nut strips have been in for years and unused expect corrosion build up inside of the nuts and plan on cleaning the out well with a wire-brush and possibly a thread-chaser depending on how bad they are, or remove/replace the strips).

From the factory the OEM hitch used nut strips to speed assembly at the factory, but it wouldn't surprise me that an OEM hitch purchased new after the fact and installed by the owner would come with the same hardware that aftermarket kits (especially since the XJ has now been discontinued for 13+ years, I'm sure any "Mopar" hitch is made by one of the major aftermarket hitch suppliers and just re-branded) since it is theoretically easier to install not having to remove the bumper.
Excellent read... Thanks!
Old 12-19-2014, 07:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by lilnapsak
Videos are a great learning tool... Thanks!
Old 12-19-2014, 07:04 PM
Seasoned Member

It seems nut-strips are a good way to go... Ordered!
Old 12-20-2014, 06:26 PM
Seasoned Member

Question

Observation... Then a question. It appears at the end of this video he leaves the item in question (nut-welded-to-tool) still installed... Yes? No? What? Why

Originally Posted by lilnapsak