Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

I'm freezing

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I-6
Default I'm freezing

OK another heat comment and question...'98, 6cl, AC...In the past year and a half I have replaced my radiator, hoses, thermostat, water pump, and fluids. A month ago I had my heater core flushed; it helped maybe 5° warmer. I had my system checked and everything is flowing. Occasionally i have a brief smell of radiator fluid inside. First question: is there anything mechanical like a flap or my temp **** (besides the heater core) that could cause my heat only to be Luke warm? Second question: if I have my heater core replaced will my heat get hot again? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

I believe the 98 has a heater control valve. Look under the dash passenger side foot well area.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by ILRob
Second question: if I have my heater core replaced will my heat get hot again? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nobody can answer that without knowing why you don't have heat.

Suggestion: Since it's leaking, you need to replace it anyway. So, do that and you'll know if the heater core was your problem.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Do heater hoses get as hot as radiator hoses ?
Old 01-26-2014, 01:09 PM

Yes the heater hoses do get hot.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand

Originally Posted by freegdr
Do heater hoses get as hot as radiator hoses ?

Only when everything is working correctly.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 296 Likes on 246 Posts
Year: 1997 (RHD)
Engine: 4.0 ltr

So your heater hoses get hot, meaning there is hot coolant going through your heater.

To answer your question: you have a blend door (servo operated in 99-01, cable in older xj's) that you want to check for proper operation.

Both heater hoses being hot suggest not a significant blockage. However, reverse flushing the hoses once more will never hurt to get that out of the way. Your coolant still good quality/color?

Not sure about the coolant smell your getting, but if the heater leaks...not much else left doing but replacing...which is a bit of a hassle.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:30 PM

Thanks for all the help. I do not have the knowledge or a garage to do the work but at least I have a direction to talk to my mechanic about. I am assuming that the blend door and heater control valve are on the way to the heater core. Thanks again everyone. I'll let you know what comes of it.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 296 Likes on 246 Posts
Year: 1997 (RHD)
Engine: 4.0 ltr

Follow this link, scroll to the right side of the page and a bit down.
Download your FSM, it's gold and extremely helpful in dealing with issues on your vehicle.

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/vbindex.php

I started out as you, no knowledge, a hammer and a crescent wrench, and no garage to work in (still don't btw, but have a driveway . Found that having to go with what somebody else claimed was the problem, having to believe twhat they said because I know nothing about it and then pay a lot of money for that (a sometimes poorly done job), wasn't something I would go with anymore (or could afford at the time).

You will find that working on your XJ is not rocket science. Try to do some stuff yourself, with the service manual you will discover that a lot of things can be done with pretty basic tools, two hands and good spirit. And there is nothing more rewarding than in the end do a job yourself, know it is done right and saved yourself a few $$ doing so (which you can spend on more stuff for your jeep).

And, if you have to bring it to the shop aafter all, at least you can say to them what you already did on it, and reading up on the subject gives you some knowledge to display at the shop, and might actually impress some folks there, resulting in maybe less chance of getting shafted

From "Roler: How the XJ FSM changed my life.... "

Last edited by Roler; 01-26-2014 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000

Yes the heater hoses do get hot.
Given this, the hot/cold blend control valve would be the first thing to rule out.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:25 AM

Just like Roler stated, download your factory service manual. It will walk you problem diagnostics and repairs. If it does prove to be the mode air door(not the servo motor-thats easy), check out Dorman Products. They offer a kit to replace the door and shaft without removing the entire dash(approx. an 8+ hour job at a good shop). Rock Auto lists the kit for cheap and it can be accoplished in a couple of hours(easy to understand instuction-you will need a dremel tool and a small steady hand). Best advice, remove the passenger side seat-unless you are a contorionist.
If the heater core does have a leak, the FSM will walk you throught its replacement(you will need a qualified shop to evacuate and recharge your A/C). If its a really small leak, a quality stop leak material may help and buy you some time(I'm not crazy about them, but used corectly, they do work).
Old 03-03-2014, 04:11 AM

Replaced my heater core last Friday. Northern Illinois cold is no longer a factor now. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Replaced my heater core last Friday. Northern Illinois cold is no longer a factor now. Thanks for the help.
How much did that cost ya? Lol, I have the same problem. I have some heat, but it continues to clog and I'm tired of flushing the core. I'll have to take a weekend and replace it.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:24 AM

I did the heater core and both of the o2 sensors and total was $330 with tax. The core was $100.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I did the heater core and both of the o2 sensors and total was $330 with tax. The core was $100.
Wow! Tell your mechanic to come to York, PA! I haven't seen anything less than $900 for this job, and my local inspection mechanic quoted me 1200. I *usually* do all of my own work, but for $330 for a heater core...shut up and take my money! lol

Quick Reply: I'm freezing