Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Ignition and door keys don't match - what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Default Ignition and door keys don't match - what to do?

I have a '98 XJ and I am very annoyed by the fact that it has two keys - one for the ignition and a different one for the doors. As best I can tell the ignition lock was changed at some time by the previous owner and never matched to the door keys.

What is the easiest way to remedy this? Would I have to change all the door locks AND the ignition lock to a matching set? Or is it possible to have the ignition lock re-pinned by a locksmith to match the doors?
Old 03-11-2018, 06:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by sneeze357
I have a '98 XJ and I am very annoyed by the fact that it has two keys - one for the ignition and a different one for the doors. As best I can tell the ignition lock was changed at some time by the previous owner and never matched to the door keys.

What is the easiest way to remedy this? Would I have to change all the door locks AND the ignition lock to a matching set? Or is it possible to have the ignition lock re-pinned by a locksmith to match the doors?
Drive to locksmith pull ignition key switch be easiest as long as there same key oid say
Old 03-11-2018, 06:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.0

You can do this yourself and it's not that hard. But what the gentleman posted before suggests is easier. Just take the ignition cylinder set in with both keys and he can reset the tumblers on the ignition cylinder to match your door key. Then you can throw the old ignition key away.

Do you know how to get the ignition cylinder out?
Old 03-11-2018, 07:08 PM

Does anyone know roughly how much it would cost to have a locksmith change the pins? I'm not sure how to pull the ignition cylinder but I'm sure I can search for it.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.0

Does anyone know roughly how much it would cost to have a locksmith change the pins? I'm not sure how to pull the ignition cylinder but I'm sure I can search for it.
It's usually not bad if you pull it and hand it to him. I think the last time I did that it was like 20 bucks, took him 5 minutes. But that was quite a while back. I do it myself now because it's not hard at all if small parts don't scare you. There is even a number guide on the cylinder it's self to help you put the tumblers in the right place. But if you are worried call around and ask what they would charge to do this for you first. Don't let them get to you... It really is a simple task for them.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:20 PM

Thanks for the info.