Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Idiot question about charging A/C

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Idiot question about charging A/C

I have never charged A/C on my 96 XJ before. The A/C never worked from when I bought it, but I never needed it until now. I checked the lines by pushing in a set of needle nose pliars into the fill points, and there was NO freon coming out--must be competely empty. I bought the kit with the reusable trigger nozzle and 2 R-134A cans. I started up the engine, put on the MAX A/C and went to go charge the system. I screwed on the nozzle to the can, shook it up and plugged the fitting onto the line. I go to squeeze the trigger, and it climbed up to 35psi in about 2 seconds.

There is no freon in the system....did I hook this up wrong, or is there a block in the line?

The system I bought was the Arctic Freeze and it has the dye in it to see if there is a leak. The package says to find a "white disc" in the nozzle and remove it before using it. I couldn't find any white disc, so I assumed it had been removed.

Now the nozzle is on the can, the can is full of 134A, and if I pull the nozzle off to take a look, I am going to make a mess of dye and leak all of that freon to the atmosphere.

Any ideas what to do? Or do I just go buy a new can and start all over?
Old 05-21-2010, 03:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

I would pull the header panel off the top of radiator and look at the line that is screwed to the top of the condensor... if it looks ok.. look for a line that has oil on it or has a wet aperance..then after you find and fix leak then you need to have it vacuumed down..if you can find a leak then i guess you need to find someone that has charged one before..its not to hard..
Old 05-21-2010, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

You low side won't have hardly any pressure until your AC is on anyways, so checking it with the AC off isn't going to yield anything.