Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Ideas needed! Starter not engaging

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Ideas needed! Starter not engaging

Ok guys, here's the deal... I had to take my dash out to replace the heater core, replace the steering column that was broken, and remove an alarm system that had a mind of its own and would randomly leave me stranded at the most inconvienent times. So, i put the new heater core in, got the new column plugged in, and removed the old alarm system, but the starter still isn't engaging. I arced the starter real quick to double check that it's working, which, it is. Everything else appears to be working, except the instrument cluster lights, which weren't working to begin with. So, I'm thinking that either something with the alarm is still connected somewhere and disabling the ignition, or i missed a ground wire somewhere, or the ignition switch on the replacement column is no good... I included a pic of what the fuse panel looks like now, and a pic of the alarm stuff I removed in case they help at all. Also, there were three wires coming out of the fuse panel, I removed two that didn't look factory, and didn't look like they went to anything. I checked all the fuses, they were all good. Any ideas what to start looking for? Or how to test the ignition switch? And does anyone know what that little black plastic box is on the left side of the fuse panel? Any help would be appreciated... Thanks.
Attached Images   
Old 02-08-2010, 05:26 PM

Ok, so I plugged the old column back in, which, I know is good, still doing the same thing, so its not the ignition switch. Double checked the ground that runs to the left side of the dash, that was good. I'm convinced it's something to do with the old alarm. Hopefully someone can shed some light onto the situation or give me some fresh ideas as far as what to do...
Old 02-08-2010, 05:58 PM

Alright, I just figured it out. It was the starter relay under the hood, there was an aftermarket one in there, and the original was plugged in to the old alarm harness. Hope this helps someone someday...