Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

ice on inside of windshield

Old 01-11-2011, 11:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Default ice on inside of windshield

on cold mornings i have just as much ice on the inside of the windshield as i do on the outside. has anyone had this problem or any ideas what this could be
Old 01-11-2011, 11:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

Moisture is just getting inside and has nowhere to go so it sticks to the windshield and freezes. This happened a lot to my parent's Ford Taurus after they hit a deer and broke the driver side mirror off...direct passage for air to come in. Make sure your vehicle is sealed properly.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:34 AM

all the weather stripping looks ok. nothing leaks when it rains.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:37 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

I have seen before when I get snow from my workboots in the interior of the vehicle, and it evaporates up to the glass. All you need is for moisture to get inside.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:59 PM
Banned

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L 190 hp I6

This hasn't happened to me yet, but my floormat ices up on occasion. Freaks me the hell out, as my foot will sometimes slide around the brake pad.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

i had a 93 honda del sol (or slo...) and it was a targa-top. it leaked water when it rained hard, and if i ran the defrost w/o the ac on, i had condensation issues. the prob was that, obviously, therer was moisture inside the car. HOWEVER, every other car ive owned gets water in the carpet, etc. but wont cause the issue... this leads me to belive that there is moisture in the air coming out of the vents, that doesnt corelate with the carpet water? idk if thats the case or not... in the mean time, vac. your carpets, or even pull them if you have the motivation... idk...
Old 01-11-2011, 02:56 PM

thats why im at a loss nothing is wet nothing leaks that i have noticed, i have had other vehicles that had both and no ice on the inside, this seems in good shape and every morning there is ice on the outside there is ice on the inside on all front windows
Old 01-11-2011, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by jeepcherokee89
thats why im at a loss nothing is wet nothing leaks that i have noticed, i have had other vehicles that had both and no ice on the inside, this seems in good shape and every morning there is ice on the outside there is ice on the inside on all front windows
Look underneath your car, if you have rust through the floorboards your carpet is probably wet causing your moisture problem....
Old 01-11-2011, 04:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by VTJeep
i had a 93 honda del sol (or slo...) and it was a targa-top. it leaked water when it rained hard, and if i ran the defrost w/o the ac on, i had condensation issues. the prob was that, obviously, therer was moisture inside the car. HOWEVER, every other car ive owned gets water in the carpet, etc. but wont cause the issue... this leads me to belive that there is moisture in the air coming out of the vents, that doesnt corelate with the carpet water? idk if thats the case or not... in the mean time, vac. your carpets, or even pull them if you have the motivation... idk...
Warm air can hold more humidity than cold air.

Chances are the owner is running his car long enough to heat up the interior temperature. Moisture in the car evaporates over time into the air, and this warm air can hold more moisture in it. Then, when the car isn't in use, it cools back down, releases the moisture, and the moisture condenses on the windshield.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by dan_gra
Look underneath your car, if you have rust through the floorboards your carpet is probably wet causing your moisture problem....
x2 my cherokee had rusty floors so i just rigged up some sheet metal panels ,rivets, and seam sealer and went to town. once the cold weather came in i had the same problem as u from just a few spots under the dash that i missed. sealed them up and it went away. If it was me id go ahead and pull the carpet where u seem to have your iceing issue at.