Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

i think my starter may be going...any suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 07:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default i think my starter may be going...any suggestions

I am starting to get a screech when i start the car. I believe the starter is going. I wanted to know what everyone recommends as the replacement or should i go to jeep and get an OEM starter.

1998 Jeep cheroke 4.0

Thanks guys
Old 09-20-2011, 08:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Are you sure it's the starter making the noise?

are you sure it's not just the serp. belt gettin old or too loose or something? I've never had a starter make a screech/squeak, they always just seem to get weak and then make me hammer on them until they finally quit outright. I had a few die on me from getting soaked in oil and dirt before I got the Oil filter adapter o-ring leak fixed. They always seem to die quietly for me at least.

Anyway, if you need a starter, I got one from Car Quest earlier this summer, it was $165 and I got $69 back as a core charge when I brought the old one back in. It has a lifetime warranty and seems to be doing just fine so far! Also, you could probably find a used one from a junkyard for cheaper than that I'd bet.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Potatowalker
are you sure it's not just the serp. belt gettin old or too loose or something? I've never had a starter make a screech/squeak, they always just seem to get weak and then make me hammer on them until they finally quit outright. I had a few die on me from getting soaked in oil and dirt before I got the Oil filter adapter o-ring leak fixed. They always seem to die quietly for me at least.

Anyway, if you need a starter, I got one from Car Quest earlier this summer, it was $165 and I got $69 back as a core charge when I brought the old one back in. It has a lifetime warranty and seems to be doing just fine so far! Also, you could probably find a used one from a junkyard for cheaper than that I'd bet.

i first checked the belt but i just had it replaced 1000 miles ago. looks good and feels good. checked it cold and after engine hot.

the noise sounds like its coming from somewhere dead in the middle. if you are looking at the engine, to the right of the oil cap.

I will have my brother start the jeep and ill keep my eyes and ears on it to track it (if it does it again, only happened 2x)

Thanks
Old 09-20-2011, 08:57 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: l6 4.0, K&N FIPK & 62mm bored TB

If you're facing the front of the Jeep, your starter should be on the left, sort of below the passenger seat. If there's a noise on the right of the oil cap, that's not the starter.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by _StationWagon_
If you're facing the front of the Jeep, your starter should be on the left, sort of below the passenger seat. If there's a noise on the right of the oil cap, that's not the starter.

any ideas of what it could be?
Old 09-20-2011, 09:06 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: l6 4.0, K&N FIPK & 62mm bored TB

Power steering pump maybe ... That's the only thing I can think of in this location that would make that sort of noise, if the belt is ruled out. You should diagnose by being down there like you suggested, with someone else starting her up. Noises under the Jeep can be misleading from the driver seat. Could originate somewhere else than where it seems.