Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

.... I think it's a stuck valve??? (Video)

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 11:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L HO
Question .... I think it's a stuck valve??? (Video)

This noise started earlier this week and randomly comes and goes. I did an oil change the day after the noise started with pennzoil 10w40 and a bosch filter. I believe it to be a sticky valve. I took a stethescope to the valve cover and the pan and couldn't pinpoint the noise. It sounds as if it's coming from cyl 2,3, or 4. The Jeep has substantial power loss when this noise is present, which sounds to me like a stuck valve. The noise clears up at 0:24 but shortly comes back after I stopped the video. Help me pinpoint this problem, please.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998 XJ
Engine: 4.0L

Are you getting a CE light. I would do a compression test when it makes the noise. Maybe a leak down test
Old 11-18-2010, 12:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 liter

Originally Posted by Kopecki
This noise started earlier this week and randomly comes and goes. I did an oil change the day after the noise started with pennzoil 10w40 and a bosch filter. I believe it to be a sticky valve. I took a stethescope to the valve cover and the pan and couldn't pinpoint the noise. It sounds as if it's coming from cyl 2,3, or 4. The Jeep has substantial power loss when this noise is present, which sounds to me like a stuck valve. The noise clears up at 0:24 but shortly comes back after I stopped the video. Help me pinpoint this problem, please.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfXuer5JXnk
Sounds like the stuck lifter I had, actually mine was collapsed. With the sound coming and going you may get lucky and be able to use some Rislone or Marvel Mystery Oil to clear up the sludge blocking the lifter. Pull the valve cover and see if any of your rocker arms seem loose.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:35 PM
"CF Moderator"

Engine: l6 HO

[QUOTE=Kopecki;739996]This noise started earlier this week and randomly comes and goes. I did an oil change the day after the noise started with pennzoil 10w40 and a bosch filter. I believe it to be a sticky valve. I took a stethescope to the valve cover and the pan and couldn't pinpoint the noise. It sounds as if it's coming from cyl 2,3, or 4. The Jeep has substantial power loss when this noise is present, which sounds to me like a stuck valve. The noise clears up at 0:24 but shortly comes back after I stopped the video. Help me pinpoint this problem, please.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sounds like a sticky lifter to me. You can try putting in a quart of "marvel mystery oil" and see if it un-sticks it if it doesn't then the lifter may have collapsed...Tj
Old 11-18-2010, 12:36 PM
"CF Moderator"

Engine: l6 HO

Originally Posted by taxidave
Sounds like the stuck lifter I had, actually mine was collapsed. With the sound coming and going you may get lucky and be able to use some Rislone or Marvel Mystery Oil to clear up the sludge blocking the lifter. Pull the valve cover and see if any of your rocker arms seem loose.
Haha it seems like we think alike...lol...Tj
Old 11-18-2010, 12:52 PM
☠ CF Sheriff ☠

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO I-6, 703 Injectors, Brown Dog Super Engine Mounts

not a stuck valve. Believe me i had a stuck valve in my s10 once - you KNOW when that happens - you run down 1 cylinder and it sounds way worse than that.

I bet stuck lifter as well.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:20 PM
CF Veteran

I will try some of this MMO. I've heard pretty good things about it in the past. Would Barrs Leaks be the same stuff? I've got a quart of that in the garage. The bottle says it lessens motor noises, but I'm afraid to try it. I've heard that stuff turns to sludge and causes more problems than it solves.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:29 PM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

NO BARRS PRODUCTS, THEY ARE CRAP!! It quiets noisy engines because it thickens the oil. It is a band-aid, and has no real benefit, IMHO!! MMO, or Sea Foam...HTH!!
Old 11-18-2010, 01:57 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by COSXJFAN
NO BARRS PRODUCTS, THEY ARE CRAP!! It quiets noisy engines because it thickens the oil. It is a band-aid, and has no real benefit, IMHO!! MMO, or Sea Foam...HTH!!
Thanks. Should I put a quart of MMO in the CC and run seafoam through a vaccuum line or just use the MMO? I ran Seafoam in my CC about 3-4 months ago, but never put it through the vaccuum lines because I wasn't sure which line to use (Still aren't sure.) The Jeep never smoked like youtube videos show... not sure why. My motor is filthy inside... I've never seen such black oil come out of an oil change.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:04 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 L6 Srt

Have you changed the oil since you've done the sea foam in the CC.. It helps clean **** out but shouldn't be used as an additive for long use. As for seafoam to intake... u would put is through the brake booster vacuum hose to intake .. or as ive seen and heard from other is putting it directly into the throttle body.. But do not just pour it in there u WILL hydro lock the engine.. small amount each time you pour it in and only use about half can or less.

Last edited by 98jeepsrt6; 11-18-2010 at 02:07 PM. Reason: BAd wording everywhere
Old 11-18-2010, 03:30 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 98jeepsrt6
Have you changed the oil since you've done the sea foam in the CC.. It helps clean **** out but shouldn't be used as an additive for long use. As for seafoam to intake... u would put is through the brake booster vacuum hose to intake .. or as ive seen and heard from other is putting it directly into the throttle body.. But do not just pour it in there u WILL hydro lock the engine.. small amount each time you pour it in and only use about half can or less.
I've changed the oil twice since the seafoam.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Kopecki
I've changed the oil twice since the seafoam.
ok, was just checking. so did u get how to do through the intake?? if not youtube it and youll get a bunch.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:03 PM
CF Veteran

ok, was just checking. so did u get how to do through the intake?? if not youtube it and youll get a bunch.
When I did the Seafoam before I put it through the throttle body, in the gas, and the crankcase, but I did not do any vaccuum lines.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:52 PM

some think the vacuum line is easier.. but theres no cleaning them out. U also siad it did not smoke?? If you did it through the throttle body and like u say ur motor in nasty inside, then you should of had plenty of smoke coming out.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:55 PM
Old Skewl CF like a Sir

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L High Output OBDII

Originally Posted by COSXJFAN
This! And Seafoam is basically mechanic in a bottle.

some think the vacuum line is easier.. but theres no cleaning them out. U also siad it did not smoke?? If you did it through the throttle body and like u say ur motor in nasty inside, then you should of had plenty of smoke coming out.
Agree to an extent. I have a full IV style injection system at work, and I've gotten cars before that have barely smoked anything. Most motors though will produce something though. (even though IMHO I think the "carbon smoke" is a little bit of a gimmick)

Last edited by Bustedknuckle; 11-18-2010 at 07:58 PM.

Quick Reply: .... I think it's a stuck valve??? (Video)