Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

I sheared off a bolt on my driveshaft yoke.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default I sheared off a bolt on my driveshaft yoke.

My '97 Cherokee's radiator stopped working a few months ago and, as I was driving it to the mechanic, I overheated at a stop light in rush hour traffic. I held the throttle wide open to get her to start and, in my hurry, threw myself into drive with the engine red lining. This completely sheared the bolt off my driveshaft yoke down into the hole. My mechanic tells me he can't drill it out and I'm going to need the part brand new. He's said the part is on national backorder and is going to cost me just shy of $200 when he finally gets around to getting it.

Is this the part I need? It's a 1997 Jeep Cherokee SE.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:15 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

I believe that's the correct part. There is a writeup for converting the yoke to use U-bolts (much stronger.) Your mechanic is wrong about not being able to drill it out. It can be done, probably not too hard either, or just use an easy-out if possible. If you get it drilled out you'd probably have to have it heli-coiled. The writeup for u bolts instead of straps ->
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/rear-yoke-u-bolt-conversion-28141/
Old 07-18-2011, 10:55 AM

Thank you very much. I just found out that my mechanic shipped off the original driveshaft as scrap, because I was going to take it all back and do it myself, so I've ordered the new part and will probably install it myself.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:10 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Your mechanic was definately wrong because I had 2 shear off and I drilled them out and used an easy out and it worked just fine..easy too! Worst bolts i've ever sheared off and had to get out was 1 of the rear shock bolts in the body (passenger side) and a bolt for the front diff cover.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Isaac B.
Thank you very much. I just found out that my mechanic shipped off the original driveshaft as scrap, because I was going to take it all back and do it myself, so I've ordered the new part and will probably install it myself.
Wow he scraped your ds because your not going to have him do the work?...... Sounds like you should never have that a-hole work on your ride again

pieced together on my iPhone using my uber l337 hax skilz.