Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

i need expert A/C help

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 11:16 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 6cyl.
Default i need expert A/C help

Hi, I have a 1991 jeep XJ and I have been working on the A/C system. I turned it on the other day and it came on slow then stopped. I haven't been able to get the blower OR the compressor clutch to kick in. I have run a hot wire directly from the battery to the A/C switch control bypassing the under dash fuse block. after going thru and replacing the burnt connectors ( not burnt, just hot looking) I have ohm the wires from the resistor pack to the switch all check good. the only problem I find is the dark green wire that goes to the blower is shorted to ground. I know this isn't correct. I run a wire from the battery to the blower and it works great, but the wire from the inside resistor pack to the blower is short...my question is why and how can this happen? and ( my schematics don't show it) how does it run from the resistor pack to the blower... does it just go out the firewall on the passenger side or does it go out the cluster on the drivers side ? I want to replace the wire but don't know how to run it.AND how can this wire being bad stop the compressor from kicking in? thanks..any advice would be great and thank you in advance...
Old 11-06-2015, 11:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Low freon , bad relay or fuse will stop compressor from working. Try jumping pressure switch for just a second see if it kicks in. Its right behind comp on dryer.