Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

I hope these electrical issues are a simple fix. Info needed!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default I hope these electrical issues are a simple fix. Info needed!

I have a 1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo. Just recently got it from my Papaw. To start off, he was in a wreck and the entire front end was replaced. All these electrical issues happened after he got it back from the bodyshop, but at his age he didn't notice or care. Here are my issues and I have checked all fuses:
1.The digital compass/thermometer has no power (all the interior lights in the same overhead console work though). Not sure if there is something missing after the wreck that powers it or what. I'm not sure what to even look for.
2. Oil gauge is dead. its reading at 0.
3. It had a powered antenna and the bodyshop replaced it with a fixed mount. Also, the radio does not work, although it does illuminate when the headlights are turned on. Not sure if that could be related if they didn't hook up the new antenna correctly or not?
4. Last thing, not sure what these wires are that is exiting the console into the back floor. It was mentioed. Bother powered seats work and the electric mirrors work as well. Not sure why they were unplugged, but you can tell the console was removed at some point. Maybe for the front end collision repair for some reason? I've attached a photo.
I am very unfamiliar with Jeeps and I hope now that I own one I hope to learn all I can from this place. All advice is greatly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails I hope these electrical issues are a simple fix. Info needed!-img_6426.jpg  
Old 09-04-2016, 05:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 170 Likes on 158 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0, new lifters valve job with new springs and exhaust valves, preload set with shims

Originally Posted by WVG91LAREDO
I have a 1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo. Just recently got it from my Papaw. To start off, he was in a wreck and the entire front end was replaced. All these electrical issues happened after he got it back from the bodyshop, but at his age he didn't notice or care. Here are my issues and I have checked all fuses:
1.The digital compass/thermometer has no power (all the interior lights in the same overhead console work though). Not sure if there is something missing after the wreck that powers it or what. I'm not sure what to even look for.
2. Oil gauge is dead. its reading at 0.
3. It had a powered antenna and the bodyshop replaced it with a fixed mount. Also, the radio does not work, although it does illuminate when the headlights are turned on. Not sure if that could be related if they didn't hook up the new antenna correctly or not?
4. Last thing, not sure what these wires are that is exiting the console into the back floor. It was mentioed. Bother powered seats work and the electric mirrors work as well. Not sure why they were unplugged, but you can tell the console was removed at some point. Maybe for the front end collision repair for some reason? I've attached a photo.
I am very unfamiliar with Jeeps and I hope now that I own one I hope to learn all I can from this place. All advice is greatly appreciated!
Take it back to the body shop that fixed it and demand they make it right or you will report them to the state?
Old 09-04-2016, 05:27 PM

I would, but the wreck was 7 years ago and with his declining health he maybe had put 500 miles on it since then until he passed away last week.
Originally Posted by 97grand4.0
Take it back to the body shop that fixed it and demand they make it right or you will report them to the state?
Old 09-04-2016, 06:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Start with checking all of your grounds. It's very common for body shops to mess up grounds, and bad grounds cause all kinds of interesting problems.

See my sig for how, and as for where, search this forum for username CCKen and the word, "grounds". He has posted numerous pictures.

I see you have a 91. That's the next year after the Renix years, but still check Cruiser54's Renix tips.

Once you have done that, it's going to be a matter of tracing one circuit at a time. Buy a decent voltmeter and a test light, and get yourself an FSM (Factory Service Manual) for the needed diagrams.

Last edited by BlueRidgeMark; 09-04-2016 at 07:03 PM.
Old 09-04-2016, 07:14 PM

Thanks for the info! I am anxious to get the Compass/Temp working again. As a kid I loved getting in his Jeep and seeing what the temperature was! Man, those were the days.
Originally Posted by BlueRidgeMark
Start with checking all of your grounds. It's very common for body shops to mess up grounds, and bad grounds cause all kinds of interesting problems.

See my sig for how, and as for where, search this forum for username CCKen and the word, "grounds". He has posted numerous pictures.

I see you have a 91. That's the next year after the Renix years, but still check Cruiser54's Renix tips.

Once you have done that, it's going to be a matter of tracing one circuit at a time. Buy a decent voltmeter and a test light, and get yourself an FSM (Factory Service Manual) for the needed diagrams.