Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I hope these electrical issues are a simple fix. Info needed!

Old 09-04-2016, 05:17 PM
  #1  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 19
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default I hope these electrical issues are a simple fix. Info needed!

I have a 1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo. Just recently got it from my Papaw. To start off, he was in a wreck and the entire front end was replaced. All these electrical issues happened after he got it back from the bodyshop, but at his age he didn't notice or care. Here are my issues and I have checked all fuses:
1.The digital compass/thermometer has no power (all the interior lights in the same overhead console work though). Not sure if there is something missing after the wreck that powers it or what. I'm not sure what to even look for.
2. Oil gauge is dead. its reading at 0.
3. It had a powered antenna and the bodyshop replaced it with a fixed mount. Also, the radio does not work, although it does illuminate when the headlights are turned on. Not sure if that could be related if they didn't hook up the new antenna correctly or not?
4. Last thing, not sure what these wires are that is exiting the console into the back floor. It was mentioed. Bother powered seats work and the electric mirrors work as well. Not sure why they were unplugged, but you can tell the console was removed at some point. Maybe for the front end collision repair for some reason? I've attached a photo.
I am very unfamiliar with Jeeps and I hope now that I own one I hope to learn all I can from this place. All advice is greatly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails I hope these electrical issues are a simple fix. Info needed!-img_6426.jpg  
WVG91LAREDO is offline  
Old 09-04-2016, 05:22 PM
  #2  
CF Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: syracuse ny
Posts: 1,717
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by WVG91LAREDO View Post
I have a 1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo. Just recently got it from my Papaw. To start off, he was in a wreck and the entire front end was replaced. All these electrical issues happened after he got it back from the bodyshop, but at his age he didn't notice or care. Here are my issues and I have checked all fuses:
1.The digital compass/thermometer has no power (all the interior lights in the same overhead console work though). Not sure if there is something missing after the wreck that powers it or what. I'm not sure what to even look for.
2. Oil gauge is dead. its reading at 0.
3. It had a powered antenna and the bodyshop replaced it with a fixed mount. Also, the radio does not work, although it does illuminate when the headlights are turned on. Not sure if that could be related if they didn't hook up the new antenna correctly or not?
4. Last thing, not sure what these wires are that is exiting the console into the back floor. It was mentioed. Bother powered seats work and the electric mirrors work as well. Not sure why they were unplugged, but you can tell the console was removed at some point. Maybe for the front end collision repair for some reason? I've attached a photo.
I am very unfamiliar with Jeeps and I hope now that I own one I hope to learn all I can from this place. All advice is greatly appreciated!
Take it back to the body shop that fixed it and demand they make it right or you will report them to the state?
97grand4.0 is offline  
Old 09-04-2016, 05:27 PM
  #3  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 19
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

I would, but the wreck was 7 years ago and with his declining health he maybe had put 500 miles on it since then until he passed away last week.
Originally Posted by 97grand4.0 View Post
Take it back to the body shop that fixed it and demand they make it right or you will report them to the state?
WVG91LAREDO is offline  
Old 09-04-2016, 06:59 PM
  #4  
CF Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Lost in the wilds of Virginia
Posts: 4,686
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 96 (just purchased) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default

Start with checking all of your grounds. It's very common for body shops to mess up grounds, and bad grounds cause all kinds of interesting problems.

See my sig for how, and as for where, search this forum for username CCKen and the word, "grounds". He has posted numerous pictures.

I see you have a 91. That's the next year after the Renix years, but still check Cruiser54's Renix tips.


Once you have done that, it's going to be a matter of tracing one circuit at a time. Buy a decent voltmeter and a test light, and get yourself an FSM (Factory Service Manual) for the needed diagrams.

Last edited by BlueRidgeMark; 09-04-2016 at 07:03 PM.
BlueRidgeMark is offline  
Old 09-04-2016, 07:14 PM
  #5  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 19
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

Thanks for the info! I am anxious to get the Compass/Temp working again. As a kid I loved getting in his Jeep and seeing what the temperature was! Man, those were the days.
Originally Posted by BlueRidgeMark View Post
Start with checking all of your grounds. It's very common for body shops to mess up grounds, and bad grounds cause all kinds of interesting problems.

See my sig for how, and as for where, search this forum for username CCKen and the word, "grounds". He has posted numerous pictures.

I see you have a 91. That's the next year after the Renix years, but still check Cruiser54's Renix tips.


Once you have done that, it's going to be a matter of tracing one circuit at a time. Buy a decent voltmeter and a test light, and get yourself an FSM (Factory Service Manual) for the needed diagrams.
WVG91LAREDO is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
jackson1714
Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here!
23
06-01-2019 05:36 PM
Aaron Penrod
Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here
12
03-16-2017 08:50 AM
Ditchdigger
Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here!
1
03-26-2016 06:19 AM
Dylan86cherokee
Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here
3
03-24-2016 01:01 PM
zackjeep
Cherokee Chat
0
03-22-2016 03:02 AM

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I hope these electrical issues are a simple fix. Info needed!


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description: