Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

I Have a Few Questions..

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default I Have a Few Questions..

Hello everyone!

Let me start off by saying that I'm 15 years old, and very interested in automobiles. One problem is, I have little resources between friends, school, and others to learn about automobiles. My only real resource to learn is the internet. So, please take it easy on me as I have a pretty pathetic knowledge of the Cherokee. But, in my defense, I have been doing a lot of research, gathering up all the info I can about this amazing vehicle.

This is where you guys, the XJ experts, come in. I have narrowed down my most desired Cherokee, and have come up with a list of questions to ask you. So, let's begin!

I would like a '98 Sport - 4WD - 4DR - Manual.
(http://www.edmunds.com/used/1998/jee...11/prices.html)
Although I would also take a 2DR, it's just not preferred.

Now, once I get this XJ, I am going to most certainly mod it with things like a lift, wheels, lights, sound, and bumpers. But first, I want to learn a few things and know what different parts are. I will now list questions with numbers, and if you decide to answer them, please put the number of the question before your answer so I know what your answering.

1. I have to have to have to have a stick-shift. What are some things you think I should know about a stick-shift XJ?

2. I understand this model has a Dana 30 front axle with 760x U-Joints. Is the "30" a measurement? What does 760x mean? U-Joints?

(This is the part I meant about taking it easy. I'm sure most of you are facepalming me right now.)

3. I also know it has an 8.25 rear axle with a 29-spline axle shaft. 8.25 what? What is a spline, and what effects does a bigger / smaller spline have?

4. What are some tips / advice you think I need to know as a Cherokee owner. You must have some vital information!

5. What are things I should look for when buying my Cherokee? What things should I ask the owner?

Those are my main questions, for now. I'm sure by you guys answering these currents ones, that they will branch off into further questions. Thank you guys SO MUCH! Just by reading through the forums every day for about two weeks now I've gained much knowledge, and I can't thank you guys enough.

I can't wait to here you answers! So in conclusion, !

Thanks again.
Christian.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:16 PM

Bump.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:22 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: Inline6 4.0

For number 5 its just like buying any other 4x4, you have to make sure the previous owner didnt not take care of it at all. you gotta be sure your not taking someone elses problem because you could put in more money than its worth and spend more time fixing it than driving it
Old 06-18-2010, 11:25 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

2. Dana 30 is the name given to the axle by the Dana company. 760 is the size of the U-joint in the axle shafts.
3. The 98 had 2 different rear axles available. The 8.25 (8.25" ring gear) and the Dana 35. The 35 has 27 spline shafts. Look up some aftermarket axles and you can see a pic of the splines. The more splines the better and also axle size also affects strength. IE a 30 spline Dana 60 will be stronger than 30 spline Dana 44.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by xjmarc
2. Dana 30 is the name given to the axle by the Dana company. 760 is the size of the U-joint in the axle shafts.
3. The 98 had 2 different rear axles available. The 8.25 (8.25" ring gear) and the Dana 35. The 35 has 27 spline shafts. Look up some aftermarket axles and you can see a pic of the splines. The more splines the better and also axle size also affects strength. IE a 30 spline Dana 60 will be stronger than 30 spline Dana 44.
Very useful. What purpose do U-Joints serve? 760..?
Old 06-18-2010, 11:52 PM
Seasoned Member

U-joint means Universal Joint. Not the one that gets passed around at your friends house party though.

This link should help you out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_joint
Old 06-18-2010, 11:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your better off getting the 8.25 axle.It's much stronger than the D35.And you live in Ohio so look for rust,rust,rust.Mainly on the floor boards and rockers.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:54 PM
Seasoned Member

And for number 4, your center console latch won't ever latch, seeing as it will probably be broken.

And another one is, the first time you open your hatch, MAKE SURE THE SHOCKS ARE GOOD. I eff'd that one up pretty hard. Got a pretty nice knot on my head after that.

And just another useful tip, even though you want a manual, go to your local state police auctions. That's where I got my Cherokee, and it came with the Police & Up country packages. Pretty billy badass if I do say so myself.

Last edited by Kmart164; 06-18-2010 at 11:57 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by troy fritz
Your better off getting the 8.25 axle.It's much stronger than the D35.And you live in Ohio so look for rust,rust,rust.Mainly on the floor boards and rockers.
Good tip! Hey, Ravenna! I'll be there tomorrow doing some work for the mayor. Seriously, you know Joe Bica?
Old 06-18-2010, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Kmart164
And for number 4, your center console latch won't ever latch, seeing as it will probably be broken.

And another one is, the first time you open your hatch, MAKE SURE THE SHOCKS ARE GOOD. I eff'd that one up pretty hard. Got a pretty nice knot on my head after that.

And just another useful tip, even though you want a manual, go to your local state police auctions. That's where I got my Cherokee, and it came with the Police & Up country packages. Pretty billy badass if I do say so myself.
Haha I'll make sure to watch my head. I've heard of the Up Country package, doesn't it have something to do with skidplates or something?
Old 06-19-2010, 12:03 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: I6

Originally Posted by Kmart164

not to jake the thread but my 97's rear hatch's shocks were shot and it fell and hit my head too, a couple times because i forgot! (thats what u get when a buddy opens it and lets go while im under it) and my latch was broken for the console, spent ten bucks and got a new one.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:12 AM
CF Veteran

Also ,get the 4.0.They run forever!I had a teacher named Mrs. Bica.I don't know if they are related or not.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:17 AM

Also ,get the 4.0.They run forever!I had a teacher named Mrs. Bica.I don't know if they are related or not.
Yes, I am of course getting the 4.0 I6. Yeah, probably Joe's mom. I'm surprised you never saw any "Vote for Joe Bica" signs around Ravenna a while ago.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:23 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by mooseinabox
Yes, I am of course getting the 4.0 I6. Yeah, probably Joe's mom. I'm surprised you never saw any "Vote for Joe Bica" signs around Ravenna a while ago.
I saw them alot but I think she might have been his grandmother cuz she was old back then and that was 30 years ago.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:27 AM

I saw them alot but I think she might have been his grandmother cuz she was old back then and that was 30 years ago.
Oh, gotcha. Well, let's end this nonsense before my thread is entirely derailed by the Bica family.

Quick Reply: I Have a Few Questions..