Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

I died in the middle of the road

Old 05-28-2010, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default I died in the middle of the road

Tonight as I was driving home from visiting family, my 1988 XJ stalled out and died. As the engine died, the temp was at 210 or slightly lower, oil pressure was normal, and I had just filled up with gas yesterday so I know the fuel gauge couldn't be "off". When I attempted to crank it after I had pulled off the road the engine cranks as if the Jeep is about to start, but then it just dies. If I give it gas while I crank, it will roll over and stall immediately after it roars to life for a moment.

The Jeep did this same thing for the first time this afternoon after I got home from work and then turned around to leave again but after 2 or 3 cranks it started up and ran fine. Then I let my sister drive my jeep for a few minutes, turned it off and tried to crank it and it did the stalling but when I gave it some gas, it fired up. Then when I went to leave it did the same thing and it took about 7 or 8 cranks and it fired up and then died 20 minutes into the drive.

I'm thinking it is the crank position sensor? Any other guesses as to what it might be or am I on the right track? I'm planning on picking up a sensor tomorrow and want to know if that is the right place to start?

Thanks.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:31 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

is the fuel pump kicking on?
Old 05-28-2010, 11:33 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999

i think you're on the right track. but dude, the name of your thread just gets me. lol... it's like a title for a zombie movie. ha ha...
Old 05-28-2010, 11:35 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990

Originally Posted by Tural
i think you're on the right track. but dude, the name of your thread just gets me. lol... it's like a title for a zombie movie. ha ha...
Old 05-29-2010, 09:52 AM

Another problem. I went out to the auto parts store this morning and picked up the sensor. I got home popped the hood and saw I had NO coolant in the reservoir tank. Would that be connected to the cps issue? This is starting to look pretty bad. I know I had coolant in the tank the day before this happened so I haven't been runnng without it. Any guesses as to what has happened?
Old 05-29-2010, 09:57 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990

what does our oil look like is there coolant mixed in with it if not you prob have a radiator or hose leak
Old 05-29-2010, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by mwdouglas
what does our oil look like is there coolant mixed in with it if not you prob have a radiator or hose leak
The oil looks fine. I found a spot where a hose met the engine and there was a pool of fluid there so I think that may be the spot. I tightened the hose clamp there and other hoses all around.

But I am having the hardest damned time getting to the sensor to take it off and replace it with the one I have. Any tips on getting the bolts off?
Old 05-29-2010, 11:46 AM

Year: 1993

Get a long extension im talking like twenty four inches at the end of it put a universal on, then another one inch extension *aprox* i layed under my truck with my head facing the rear of the truck and looked up towards the bell housing used my extension and both the bolts dropped after alittle wiggle here and there. Getting them back on is also a pain in the ***.. carefull not to drop one in the bell housing
Old 05-29-2010, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by jhosgood
Get a long extension im talking like twenty four inches at the end of it put a universal on, then another one inch extension *aprox* i layed under my truck with my head facing the rear of the truck and looked up towards the bell housing used my extension and both the bolts dropped after alittle wiggle here and there. Getting them back on is also a pain in the ***.. carefull not to drop one in the bell housing
Cool, thanks for the advice. I'm heading out to pick up a 24" extension tomorrow.
Old 05-29-2010, 12:50 PM

Engine: 4.0l

i while back i had the exact same problem, so naturally i thought it was the CPS for sure. left the jeep, got my dad to drive me to pick up a CPS, then changed it out on the side of the road(good thing i always carry tools with me). and yes, it's a PIA and you need 2 long extensions with a universal to get it out. after that it fired up and seemed to run ok, but the next day it died on me again. turns out i had a loose connection to the fuel pump ballast resistor on the right fender wall, so i just spliced the connection together and it has been good ever since..........and now i have a spare CPS.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:05 PM

Another update. I got some extensions and put on a universal and the sensor was out and the new one was on in 30 minutes. It was a breeze with the right equipment. The only problem...it didn't fix the issue. The engine still does the same thing. It turns over but immediately stalls out.

I'm beginning to think it is the fuel pump now. What should I begin to do in order to check if the fuel pump is the issue?
Old 05-31-2010, 09:32 PM

Year: 87

when was the last time you changed the fuel filter could be some trash it it as well and usually cheaper than a fuel pump.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by tnmedic
when was the last time you changed the fuel filter could be some trash it it as well and usually cheaper than a fuel pump.
I've never changed the fuel filter. I bought the truck a month ago. I'll try that before I buy a pump.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:23 AM
G_P

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 H.O

Originally Posted by a.dickens
I've never changed the fuel filter. I bought the truck a month ago. I'll try that before I buy a pump.

do you hear the pump running when you turn the key to "run" but dont crank the engine? Can you have a buddy lay under the Jeep while you try to start it and see if they can hear the pump running?

Other than that grab a fuel pressure test kit and check what readings you get. It sounds like you can build pressure without the injectors opening but as soon as they start spraying you loose pressure and the engine dies.

Could also be a clogged fuel filter. try that as tnmedic said.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:40 AM

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0L

Sounds like a fuel pump problem to me also. When it happens, have someone turn on the key while you pound on the tank, sometimes this will get the pump to turn on. If that works, its your pump for sure. I am also a little curious as to the temp you mentioned in the beginning of your post. 210 sounds a bit high to me, but I could be wrong. However running low on coolant would produce that as well, so you may have addressed that already.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I died in the middle of the road