Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

was i charged a good price for this work?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 02:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l 6 cylinder
Default was i charged a good price for this work?

i have a mechanic that charged me $500 for the following work. he did come to my place instead of me having to go anywhere for him but i did spend a few hours at least running here and there for odd little things.

here's what he did

he replaced the front rotors and brake pads (along with one stud and nut)

installed a new stereo system and speakers in the vehicle

installed new lifts on the rear hatch (not that i asked for that he just did it since i already had the parts and was going to do it on my own)

replaced the window motor on the driver sides window

replaced the regulator on eh passenger sides window

did the following ac work

replaced the compressor
replaced the condenser
he couldn't get the new orifice tube in the tube so i had to buy a new pipe with the orifice tube already installed
vacuumed the system and then filled it up

it had very very nice cold air for the first time in 7 years (see other post for problem)

installed a license plate backup cam

took off the exhaust manifold and fixed the cracks and put it back on with a new gasket

my biggest problem with him to date is not

that he seems slow becasue i have no idea how long this should have taken and i was on the road getting things here and there, i know he spent about 12 hours working on it yesterday.

or that he got drinks and food when he requested it as i have someone working on my stuff for what i hope is cheap i try to accommodate them any way i can

but i tired many times to lock in a price before he even started working and the only thing i could get was 250 for removal of the dash to fix the ac stuff and then he'd do the radio for free, well as it turns out the ac stuff didn't require any dash removal and he was only going from what i told him other mechanics told me.

as of right now he has to return to tidy up a few things

first the ac is not working (so it appears all those parts i bought probably worked just fine)

he's got to hook up the rear cam yet

he's going to check on a leak and let me know if its from the engine or transmission

while asking about the above

he is suggesting i fix the leaky seal, in fact he recommends i do both at the same time. he said it charges $375 to pull the engine or transmission i think he said its easier to pull the transmission out and replace the seals that way but i could be wrong. he said since you are taking them apart it makes sense to replace both seals at the same time. does this sound like a good deal too? he said this was an all day job.

thanks

ryan
Old 08-19-2013, 02:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

$500 for all that...You robbed that poor guy.

Shame on you.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1998

Originally Posted by rgs80074
he's going to check on a leak and let me know if its from the engine or transmission

while asking about the above

he is suggesting i fix the leaky seal, in fact he recommends i do both at the same time. he said it charges $375 to pull the engine or transmission i think he said its easier to pull the transmission out and replace the seals that way but i could be wrong. he said since you are taking them apart it makes sense to replace both seals at the same time. does this sound like a good deal too? he said this was an all day job.
if it isn't leaking, don't fix it. Sounds like an under-the-table, shady gypsy mechanic to me! I agree though, I think you robbed the poor guy.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1985
Engine: 2.5L

Considering a bare minimum at a shop would be $60/hour which would come to $720 for the 12 hours he spent on it I would say yes, money well spent.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

Sounds like a shade tree, but at those prices....... If you lived near me i'd work for more than that.... but id be done in a day
Old 08-19-2013, 03:08 PM
Seasoned Member

ok i felt i was getting a good deal, he came up with the price not me

and an edit it was not the condenser that was replaced but the accumulator.

but the ac system is not working something is still wrong with it, seems to be a leak somewhere.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:13 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by rgs80074
ok i felt i was getting a good deal, he came up with the price not me

and an edit it was not the condenser that was replaced but the accumulator.

but the ac system is not working something is still wrong with it, seems to be a leak somewhere.
Did it lose pressure? Did he use manifold gauges and properly evacuate the system before replacing those items, and then properly pull a vacuum on it and refill? If yes, you could be looking at a leaky evaporator. Common on the XJ's...mine has a small leak as well. That you WILL be going into the dash to replace, and might as well replace the heater core while you're in there too.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:41 PM
Seasoned Member

yes it was blowing ice cold last ngiht then today he started it up to cool off while doing work and it was blowing hot/luke warm.

the system showed low pressure and he said the freon leaked out somewhere there was die put in it so later when we can see better with the uv light we might find it.

if its the evaporator thats going to bust the back so i can't get it fixed for a while.

if its the condensor which is on the radiator then that can be workable to fix.

i have a more important issue with some seals that are starting to leak i have to take care of as well.

well i believe he's a certified mechanic but he does not rent or own a shop and is mobile so he goes where he's needed. he tries to be fair to everyone involved and give them good deal while still getting a good deal for himself as well.

not having the over head of a physical shop makes it much easier and cheaper for him.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:44 PM
CF Veteran

Well, if your rear main seal is leaking, you don't need to pull the transmission to replace it, just the oil pan if I recall correctly. So you'll need a new oil pan gasket as well for that job.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

$500 cash, not reported, comes to about $650 depending on what tax bracket he's in. I figured 30%.

No shop, insurance, or utilities to pay for. He had a free to him parts runner who also fed him and provided drinks at his whim. Would not quote a firm price.

Did not finish the job(s) he has already been paid to do. Did not repair the A/C properly. He works slow.

Based on all that, I think he came out smelling like a rose for what he did. He should have been better, faster, and cheaper. There's lots of people who would love to make $500 a day under those circumstances. That's equivalent to about $3350/week or $13,400 per month. All he had to put out was gasoline to get to and from your house. I bet he thinks he has found a gold mine in your Jeep.

A line mechanic at a shop clears $18-$30/hr depending on his skills and seniority. Standard shop labor rates in my area is $75-90 for a private shop, and $100-$130 for customer pay work at a large or dealership shop.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:27 PM
Seasoned Member

well i wouldn't say he didn't repair the ac properly, he replaced every part that a prior mechanic told me was wrong, obviously that was not correct. i just hope i can find a leak that can be repair and its not a part under the dash as that will kill the project dead.

i am not sure how long that work should have taken but i'd prefer someone to go slow and get it done right than to rush and have it done wrong.

being that he's in florida now he should invest in ac equipment such as better gauges and a vacuum of his own. thast tying up about 160 bucks on my debit card right now waiting for the credit to hit for the loaning of the tool.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

You paid him to fix the A/C. Since the A/C is not working, he did not repair it properly. No matter what someone else speculated it needed. Fact.

I hope to heck he did not keep the gauges. You're on the hook for them until they are returned.

I also hope to heck he returns real soon to properly finish the work he has already been paid for. At no additional charge. I would not let him touch anything else until he finishes the first go around to YOUR satisfaction.

I'm not taking about rushing a job. I'm talking about a competent mechanic completing it within the time frame that the Mitchell manual allows. And doing it right the first time.

He was slow and didn't get it right the first time.

Next thing you know, he will be wanting to sleep over at your house.

Last edited by Firestorm500; 08-19-2013 at 04:54 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:26 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think he was slow at all, that's a lot of work for one guy. Yes he should return and finish what he has started
Old 08-19-2013, 06:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by jj1562
I don't think he was slow at all, that's a lot of work for one guy. Yes he should return and finish what he has started
x2 Attempting this many repairs in a drive way in one day is bad work ethics in my opinion. You do one repair at a time complete it make sure it done properly . Then move to the next as for telling him this is what everyone said it needs and him doing it and it still not working that's on you. As for the tool rental that should of been a big red light to you to not let him do that particular repair .As for the price he gave you you deff got a bargain as for coming back and tidying up hope ya didn't fully pay him...jm2cw...
Old 08-19-2013, 06:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999

Op: The Armchair Generals don't seem to think you did good...Phucum.

Quick Reply: was i charged a good price for this work?