Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

hubby bought a 93 xj...need some advice?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L / INLINE 6 CYL.
Question hubby bought a 93 xj...need some advice?!

hi my hubby just bought a 1993 jeep cherokee country (or xj as ive noticed on here)..ok there are things needed to be done to make the jeep more functional...weve already changed out the cat. converter all the way back...due to original parts on it...anyways it has quite a few leaks and ive read on here thats a common thing w/ jeeps but id like to know which are much more important to clear up now to prevent a bad situation later...theres a power steering leak, the trans cooler line? has a leak, and a transfer case leak...also a few issues w/ one bearing on the front left wheel..then theres yr basic valve cover gasket issues that im sure can wait a lil while...

i just want to know what can become a major thing to do if we let some things go will it cause more trouble later, etc...
oh also the engine gets a bit hot not all the way to red but its making my hubby paranoid when he drives (never owned an suv)...
thanks for any input you may have
Old 07-31-2009, 02:20 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 93
Engine: 4.0

i would go ahead and take care of the tranny line and the tcase leak, and as far as the cooling id say check the fan clutch do a coolant flush and fill and get a new rad cap and t-stat, and if its still doin that then replace the rad, and the water pump while you are in there, also if you are going to tow anything i would go ahead and get a bigger tranny cooler while you ahve the rad out
Old 07-31-2009, 02:25 PM

ok were already scheduled this saturday for the t-case to be fixed...but we may have to wait a lil to do the rest because of money issues...the radiator, we were told is reasonably new...so it might be the t-stat or needs a new cap which we can get that now...
Old 07-31-2009, 02:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996

Originally Posted by claygrassmann
i would go ahead and take care of the tranny line and the tcase leak, and as far as the cooling id say check the fan clutch do a coolant flush and fill and get a new rad cap and t-stat, and if its still doin that then replace the rad, and the water pump while you are in there, also if you are going to tow anything i would go ahead and get a bigger tranny cooler while you ahve the rad out
Congratulations, you have just been exposed to the JEEP virus. There is no cure, it is contagious, and it only gets worse. Welcome to therapy.

Normal running temp is 210, needle straight up.
Next deal with the Overheating, bearing and tranny lines. Then start on everything else. Get a manual for it, use that to decide if you fix things yourselves, or pay a mechanic. A 16 year old Jeep is going to have a bunch of things wrong with it, just like kids. Except for the Transfer Case leak most of the issues you list, are relatively easy and cheap to fix.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:04 PM

lol yeah even tho hubby has got the "virus" im the one whose asking all the questions because hes not to savvy under the hood except for the basics...well me too but i know names of things and where goes what, etc...just i dont think ill look good in that grease monkey look...lol!
Old 07-31-2009, 03:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996

Well, you can learn together. XJ's are about as basic as basic gets.

just i dont think ill look good in that grease monkey look...lol!
It is a proven fact that all women in Jeeps are sexy. This being a family site, can't describe the affects of a dirt and grease covered woman, and a Jeep.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:40 PM

Year: 1998

you might want to check that the plug in the t-case that allows access to the roll pin on the shifter fork is still there, mine fell out and the case was leaking but I didn't realize it until I already had the case out and bought the rebuild kit.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:45 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998 XJ
Engine: 4.0L

as far as your overheating issues, i dealt with this not to long ago and finally got mine fixed.
to help you out in that area i need some more details.
1. Was the jeep moving or just sitting around idling?
2. How fast is he going when it gets hot.
3. Does the temp spike fast or a slow and steady?
4. Is the rad. the only new cooling part (i had to call the PO for my info)?
5. Is the Electric fan turning on when the A/C is turned on and/or when the jeep gets around 220?
6. Is your t stat opening around 195, (pinch the top rad hose for hot fluid flowing thru it) you should have a 195 stat
7. Does your lower rad hose have the internal spring to keep it from semi or fully collapsing?
8. Is your electric fan running at only one speed when hot and cold?

We will get to the bottom of the overheating issue, take everyones elses advice on the other issues, they know a lot more than i do, i am new to the xj and found out a lot of info really fast about their coolant systems.

Rusty
Old 07-31-2009, 10:56 PM

ok ive written down my answers to yr questions to the best of mine and my hubby's knowledge...
1.) car is moving...
2.) 35 on certain roads and 45-50 on the main road...
3.) slow & steady
4.) unknown at this time...
5.) yes it comes on when it hits about 220...
6.) unsure...
7.) unknown...
8.) he says sounds like one speed...

****ok so earlier we spent some more money to dx the problem and they did a pressure test and they say something is either clogging the rad so they recommended a flush n fill which we did and we changed out the t-stat as well..we just need to get a new rad cap...but hubby said the temp didnt even reach the middle (210f) when he drove it back home , so maybe that resolved the issue...hopefully it did for his sake ... and sanity!lol! as well as mine too...
Old 07-31-2009, 11:45 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0l

You will eventually get him trained to be a Jeep monkey! Keep on keepin on!!!
Old 08-01-2009, 06:46 PM
CF Veteran

ok good, keep us updated if you have anymore issues with the overheating. mine drove me nuts too.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:19 PM

ok warthog, we fixed the overheating situation...its been staying under the 210 mark...and we just did this a.m. the transfer case, they said it wasnt needing anything but a service n some lube, no seal leak and they fixed the tranny line that was leaking as well...although my hubby freaked :O when we had to go to the store because there was this weird sound coming from around the transfer case area when he revved up but then we started up to show the former owner and it didnt happen again?!lol... what i was thinking it was is the gears and such were getting use to what was done this morning...the fluids or w/e hadnt got moved around very well yet...but well keep an eye out on that in case it worsens...thanks to everyone for their advice...we still need to do things but well have to wait now as money is a bit short now but itll get done...hubby bought a couple little things for the inside of the car to make it more his own...like a cup holder caddy, mirror for the visor (didnt have one)...so hes really going to baby this jeep, heehee he wasnt like this w/ the car that was mine that he drove around in, poor thing was all dirty, trash left in it, but then again it had soooooo many problems...its nice to see him taking care of something he can call his own...besides his own family that is!

Last edited by geminiheartz; 08-01-2009 at 09:22 PM. Reason: forgot a sentence:P
Old 08-01-2009, 09:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 482 Likes on 413 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

Originally Posted by geminiheartz
lol well me too but i know names of things and where goes what, etc...just i dont think ill look good in that grease monkey look...lol!
Try pink coveralls
Old 08-03-2009, 05:27 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997

Originally Posted by geminiheartz
ok warthog, we fixed the overheating situation...its been staying under the 210 mark...and we just did this a.m. the transfer case, they said it wasnt needing anything but a service n some lube, no seal leak and they fixed the tranny line that was leaking as well...although my hubby freaked :O when we had to go to the store because there was this weird sound coming from around the transfer case area when he revved up but then we started up to show the former owner and it didnt happen again?!lol... what i was thinking it was is the gears and such were getting use to what was done this morning...the fluids or w/e hadnt got moved around very well yet...but well keep an eye out on that in case it worsens...thanks to everyone for their advice...we still need to do things but well have to wait now as money is a bit short now but itll get done...hubby bought a couple little things for the inside of the car to make it more his own...like a cup holder caddy, mirror for the visor (didnt have one)...so hes really going to baby this jeep, heehee he wasnt like this w/ the car that was mine that he drove around in, poor thing was all dirty, trash left in it, but then again it had soooooo many problems...its nice to see him taking care of something he can call his own...besides his own family that is!
How did you solve the over heating issue? You have to tell us about that stuff too
Old 08-03-2009, 05:41 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by djlarroc
How did you solve the over heating issue? You have to tell us about that stuff too

x2

Was it the flush?

Quick Reply: hubby bought a 93 xj...need some advice?!