Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

How to remove the glove box?

Old 07-03-2012, 05:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L i6
Default How to remove the glove box?

As the title states, how do you remove the glove box on a 94 jeep Cherokee? Need to swap out the AC blower motor relay and was told its located behind the glove box. From what I could tell it looks like the whole dash has to come off in order to remove the glove box. Is this true or is there a quicker way of accomplishing this?

Thanks!
94 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 5speed man 4.0
Old 07-03-2012, 07:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L HO

Well my friend I hate to tell you that yes the dash us one whole piece. Fortunately you do not have to fully remove the dash to access it. If you look at the defroster grill there are screws to remove that. Under that there are screws that loosen up the dash. Next you have to to remove the lower dash piece. Now with that out if the way you will see 2 colts on either side on a pair of metal hooks. You only have to loosen these to allow the dash to Rick forward. Lastly, and the worst part, you have to go under the drivers side and remove the 2 nuts from the long bolts that hold up the steering column. If I remember correctly
that should be all you need to roll the whole dash forward enough to get behind it. There may be a screw or 2 behind the cluster, it has been a while since I messed with my dash so I apologize if I forgot them. After that you should have full access to the a/c/heater system and the resister should be on the front of it.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:06 AM

Thanks for the heads up!!! It's ridiculous all that has to be done just to replace a relay. Somebody surely wasn't thinking about this when It was designed. >.< Might just have to get the dremel out and make me an access spot via glove box. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by kissthis66
Thanks for the heads up!!! It's ridiculous all that has to be done just to replace a relay. Somebody surely wasn't thinking about this when It was designed. >.< Might just have to get the dremel out and make me an access spot via glove box. Thanks for the info.
Sure they were, keep your hands off it, take it to the dealer. You haven't noticed this with everything else yet? It's just the wonderful world we live in.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:07 AM

Might just have to get the dremel out and make me an access spot via glove box. Thanks for the info.
Yea that's the other option. I'm not sure exactly where it is behind the glove box so if u have an FSM or use google you might be able to find a pic to help get a general location first.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

You don't have to cut anything up with a dremel. Just look under the dash behind the glove box. If I'm not mistaken there are only 2 or 3 screws holding it on. It's hidden behind a little plastic cover. When I changed out mine about 6 months ago it only takes about 10 min. to remove the old one and put the new back in.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by RTorrez1
You don't have to cut anything up with a dremel. Just look under the dash behind the glove box. If I'm not mistaken there are only 2 or 3 screws holding it on. It's hidden behind a little plastic cover. When I changed out mine about 6 months ago it only takes about 10 min. to remove the old one and put the new back in.
Your thinking of the resistor. I'm replacing the relay.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
Sure they were, keep your hands off it, take it to the dealer. You haven't noticed this with everything else yet? It's just the wonderful world we live in.
Seriously. Well most of the stuff I've replaced on the XJ hasn't been too bad. But a relay you think would be in an accessible location. Like all the other relays and what have you. Oh well, weekend project
Old 07-03-2012, 10:30 AM

I too thought you were referring to the resistor. There is no relay, there is a 30 amp fuse. What is wrong with your blower? If it is not working it is either the blower itself, the resistor, or the fuse. Check the fuse first before you all chuck Norris on your a/c system. Then test the blower by hooking it up to a battery and see if it runs then check your resistor. This link should help some.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/9...relay-1326072/
Old 07-03-2012, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Shamrock96

I too thought you were referring to the resistor. There is no relay, there is a 30 amp fuse. What is wrong with your blower? If it is not working it is either the blower itself, the resistor, or the fuse. Check the fuse first before you all chuck Norris on your a/c system. Then test the blower by hooking it up to a battery and see if it runs then check your resistor. This link should help some.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/9...relay-1326072/
there is a relay. It's located behind the glove box. Rockauto also sells it.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...er=419964_0_0_
Old 07-03-2012, 03:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

Sorry about that. I did think that was what you were talking about.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:13 PM

That link is for the compressor Relay which is located in the engine compartment in the PDC(power distribution center). I don't mean to argue but I'm trying to save you some aggravation. Again what is the issue that you are trying to resolve?
Old 07-03-2012, 07:28 PM

That link is for the compressor Relay which is located in the engine compartment in the PDC
Sorry my mistake. for some reason every time i click the link it shows a different relay with a different name. i found the relay for sale that you are talking about i just can't find its location in my FSM or owners manual.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:49 AM

Sorry my mistake. for some reason every time i click the link it shows a different relay with a different name. i found the relay for sale that you are talking about i just can't find its location in my FSM or owners manual.
No worries. Fan randomly shuts off. Wires, fan and resistor have already been replaced. Relay is the only thin left to swap out. I posted on here before and was Told it was located under the dash, passenger side behind the glove box. I'm just gonna cut a spot out of the glove box and take a look around for it back there. As I don't use the glove box anyways (previous owner spilt some kind of sticky glue/oil/crap in it and it's unusable) so won't be a big deal if I cut it open. Besides of it is located there I'll have a nice access point if ever needed to get to it again.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:18 PM

Did you get the dash pulled out so you could access the ac wiring and relay? I'm have a short circuit in ac going on back there where the harness runs. So I need to pull dash also..Any tips not mentioned? I would appreciate them. Might even be the wiring to your relay problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to remove the glove box?