Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

How to mount lights, I'm very new to this

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 11:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Default How to mount lights, I'm very new to this

So i bought some Baja lights today so i can have some extra light at a cheap price. I'm lost on how to mount or wire them though. I want to put them on my front stock bumper in the pre drilled holes.

I have no idea how to get to the other side of the hole to add the washer and blot though??? Do i need to remove the entire front bumper first?

Im also a little lost on wiring, I understand I need one wire going from the battery to the back of the switch, and one going from the lights to the switch, and a third that connects the 2 lights.

This kit did not come with a relay and I honestly don't know where a relay would go if I bought one or how important they are.

lastly when i mount the switch inside the dash do i just drill small holes or do i have to cut out a piece of plastic the size of the switch?

I know this is alot and i probably sound like a complete idiot but if there is any help you can give it would be greatly appreciated!
Old 05-01-2010, 11:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

If you have small hands/arms you can reach up from behind and get to the bottom of those holes. Its PITA, but possible. Thats how I did mine.
I recommend a relay, when I put my relay in my lights got alot brighter. It is also safer.
I cut out a piece the size of the switch and surface mounted it, Its kinda by where my left knee would be on the bottom panel.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Easy way is to remove the bumper. Just remove the bolts holding it onto the Jeep. Bolt the lights onto the bumper and remount. While you have the bumper OFF you run the wiring. Light should have come with some kind of instructions. You can search the site for a relay wiring diagram, or post a question asking for one. if you are lucky there might be wiring from the factory, already there, You would just need to add a switch and a Relay to the circut. With a relay you can wire them into the headlight circut.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:59 PM

Year: 1992

Could someone post a diagram of the bumper and what bolts to remove?
Old 05-02-2010, 12:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have any type of repair manual, haynes or chiltons? If not you need one. But it not that dificult. Go look at your bumper. You will see that it is held onto the Jeep by some bolts, remove those bolts.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:18 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

thier are 6 bolts holding the bumper on walk out to your jeep stand in front of it looking at the front end. lye down on your back and scoot-ch under the front end to where you can see the bumper. youll see what resembles a frame on the left and right side on the outside thier are 3 bolts on each side remove those and the bumper comes off.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: I6 4.0L

Yep, just 3 bolts on each side. This will make your job alot easier. As far as the relay goes, you can run those lights just fine with out one. But if your planning on upgrading to bigger and better lights in the future, it's a good idea to just do the relay now, so you don't have to re wire everything when you upgrade. Honestly it takes like 5 more minutes to do a relay!! You can pick them up from radio shack for about 7 bucks!
Old 05-02-2010, 02:03 AM

you mean like this?
i used an extension and a deep socket it took a couple trys but worked perfect