Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

How long should my shocks last?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default How long should my shocks last?

I have a 2011 GC Laredo, bought June 2011. Now has 36K miles, and suddenly the shocks seem shot. Not the great ride like when it was new, and kid of sudden degradation. Dealer says "no they're fine". What's people's experience? These are warranted I believe, do I have to go convince the dealer to replace them??
Old 04-03-2013, 12:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992 Cherokee Sport
Engine: Bone-Stock 242

Just to confirm, what makes you think the shocks have gone back? They should last a hell lot longer than 36k miles and i doubt the dealer would lie about something like that.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

Dealer will say, "No, it's fine" about anything you bring to them, vehicle could be on fire, completely engulfed in flames bumper to bumper and they'd say "It's fine, they all do that".
Old 04-03-2013, 12:44 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 95Cherokee
Dealer will say, "No, it's fine" about anything you bring to them, vehicle could be on fire, completely engulfed in flames bumper to bumper and they'd say "It's fine, they all do that".
If it's on warranty yes.... oh lol valid point sir. I would take it somewhere else then and ask their opinion.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:33 AM

Thanks for the thoughts. It was just clear that the spring potholes were not feeling like that Jeepy combo of smooth and solid that it was when we bought the car. Will take it to my trusted junker mechanic for a second opinion and will let you know.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:40 AM

Wonder how smooth that new 2014 model will be? Maybe it is time to trade in for that smoothness.

Those shocks have to be primo shocks. If it even has shocks...

Sorry couldn't resist. Jeeps are, in my opinion, supposed to not be some luxury ride... isn't that what the billion dollar vehicles are for?

But I agree with the others, get another opinion! Does the vehicle have what I would call an overly bouncy ride? In my past experience when shocks go bad you can push down on the vehicle and when it springs up if it keeps bouncing quite a bit and not maybe once then stops the bounce the socks need to be looked at... maybe the newer shocks that wouldn't?

Last edited by dBusteR; 04-03-2013 at 08:45 AM.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:51 AM
CF Veteran

Shocks should last a lot longer than that. My uncle's 84 Chevy K10 still has 2 of the original shocks on it, and they're still fine. The fronts we replaced a few years ago though.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:22 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by dBusteR
Wonder how smooth that new 2014 model will be? Maybe it is time to trade in for that smoothness.

Those shocks have to be primo shocks. If it even has shocks...

Sorry couldn't resist. Jeeps are, in my opinion, supposed to not be some luxury ride... isn't that what the billion dollar vehicles are for?

But I agree with the others, get another opinion! Does the vehicle have what I would call an overly bouncy ride? In my past experience when shocks go bad you can push down on the vehicle and when it springs up if it keeps bouncing quite a bit and not maybe once then stops the bounce the socks need to be looked at... maybe the newer shocks that wouldn't?
Oh god, I'd rather drive a Geo Metro than one of those hunks of junk. The 2014's have a very high rollover risk, a Swedish site actually deemed it the most dangerous vehicle they've ever tested since some cheapo Mercedes SUV back in the late 90's. First test it almost flipped, so the Jeep whackos loaded it down with a payload, it blew the front left tire in almost every test.

I got a 2010 though. It's a nice ride but i can't stand to drive it since it's got the 3.7, no power and the transmission is NOT geared right for that engine.