Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

How do you get heat out?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 11:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996 Limited
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2
Default How do you get heat out?

Ok so everytime I pop my hood its always hot I know it is suppose to be hot of course but I was wondering what some of you guys have done to get some of it out with out spending much money to do it. I was thinking of a cowl hood but thats like $400 also wrapping the exhaust manifold with that wrap from the store but how good it that stuff? Any ideas or pics of some stuff you guys have done? Thanks
Old 10-04-2009, 12:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

I bought a 10x5 in. boat vent from West Marine, jig sawed a hole and screwed it on.

Vent - $7, nuts and bolts - $2

Total price - $9
Old 10-04-2009, 02:01 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 91

yes vents are the way 2 go! cheap easy and looks pretty kewl if you ask me

yesss sir.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:21 AM

Year: 1997

Mine is a VM Diesel and VM diesels need to be kept cool so I decided to install a vent over the Turbo, with a 12 volt extractor fan in it.

Got a bonnet scoop of Ebay, all the way from Hong Kong, and a large 12 volt, PC case fan, rated at 38 cubic feet per min. I chose this sort of fan as it just fits amongst all the pipes and ancilaries under the hood of the TD, above the turbo, without fouling anything.

First I used a stanley knife to remove the apropriate section of sound deadaning fron the underside of the bonnet

Then I cut out a square hole with the angle grinder..... No going back now.

Bolted the heavily waterproofed fan into place

then fixed the cowl on over the fan with bathroom sealant and a bead of flexible sealant around the edge

Picked an earth up under the hood, and ran a switched live from my aux panel in the truck.

Went for a test drive, and the heat being dumped out through the vent was amazing.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:34 AM
CF Veteran

I like the fan but that might be to much right now but love it. I think im ganna do the vents it looks sweet and will not be to much on the wallet or time. So 95cherokee you said you did 1 vent do you have any pics? So MyHeepis.rad what size vents did you use and were did you get them. Plus I was wondering about water getting in I know it shouldnt be that big of a problem but just wondering what you did.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:47 AM

Year: 1985
Engine: 2.5 liter

i saw a local guy where i live mold his own using fiberglass and a paintbrush in a cowl style, i think you can get all that at home depot
Old 10-05-2009, 04:13 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 91

Originally Posted by 91familyxj
So MyHeepis.rad what size vents did you use and were did you get them. Plus I was wondering about water getting in I know it shouldnt be that big of a problem but just wondering what you did.
i forget what size they are actually.. but ebay is where i got em at! i think it was about 20 bucks all together with s&h but don't quote me.. i dont worry about water really getting in when i wash her i go around the vents as for the rainy season i think the rain just scoots over it when im moving.... the block can handle a little rain. unless i sink it than i can worry about cracking it haha
Old 10-05-2009, 07:03 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 92 & 99

Originally Posted by bart
Mine is a VM Diesel and VM diesels need to be kept cool so I decided to install a vent over the Turbo, with a 12 volt extractor fan in it.

Got a bonnet scoop of Ebay, all the way from Hong Kong, and a large 12 volt, PC case fan, rated at 38 cubic feet per min. I chose this sort of fan as it just fits amongst all the pipes and ancilaries under the hood of the TD, above the turbo, without fouling anything.

First I used a stanley knife to remove the apropriate section of sound deadaning fron the underside of the bonnet

then fixed the cowl on over the fan with bathroom sealant and a bead of flexible sealant around the edge

Picked an earth up under the hood, and ran a switched live from my aux panel in the truck.

Went for a test drive, and the heat being dumped out through the vent was amazing.
That's a pretty cool, not to mention ingenious mod.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1988 limited
Engine: 4.0 litre

Originally Posted by bart

Hows the head goin'? Done with the gasket? Tight?
Old 10-05-2009, 07:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1988 limited
Engine: 4.0 litre

A cheap mod to get some heat out is to put 1 inch spacers at the hood mounts so that the rear end sits 1 inch open when the hood is closed. 1.5$ of washers and bolts.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995

I like the fan but that might be to much right now but love it. I think im ganna do the vents it looks sweet and will not be to much on the wallet or time. So 95cherokee you said you did 1 vent do you have any pics? So MyHeepis.rad what size vents did you use and were did you get them. Plus I was wondering about water getting in I know it shouldnt be that big of a problem but just wondering what you did.
Just go to your local marine supply store, they will have ABS plastic boat vents for less than $10.

I only installed one, over the exhaust manifold where most of the heat is, I did not feel comfortable putting one on the other side over my distributor.

I'm not worrying about rain because the vent's are angled, there's only a little water getting in, it won't hurt anything. Sorry I don't have a cam or I'd post a pic.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:41 PM
CF Veteran

Well thanks again guys Im going to work something out and get it done hopefully soon. Have any of you guys used the wrap for the exhaust manifold? I was just wondering about the pros and cons about it? Thanks
Old 10-05-2009, 12:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 HO

Well thanks again guys Im going to work something out and get it done hopefully soon. Have any of you guys used the wrap for the exhaust manifold? I was just wondering about the pros and cons about it? Thanks

It is really good stuff. I've seen it a lot on turbo cars, it does a wonderful job of keeping the heat of the exhaust, in the exhaust.

The only con is that it is pretty expensive, like a buck a foot I think.

It's also extremely hard to wrap the mani with it in the vehicle, if you want to do a good job with it, you gotta take the mani all the way out and wrap it on your bench.