Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

how do I fix the neutral switch?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 01:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default how do I fix the neutral switch?

I have to slowly pop the stick to Neutral and back to Park to start up the jeep.. what gives? how do I fix it?
Old 03-11-2009, 01:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94
Engine: 4.0L

http://jeepin.net/features/nss
Old 03-11-2009, 01:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: AMC242

Originally Posted by Deafgoose
I have to slowly pop the stick to Neutral and back to Park to start up the jeep.. what gives? how do I fix it?
Dismount Neutral Safety Switch (fan-shaped dingus on passenger side of transmission case, opposite the manual shift linkage.)

Disassemble, clean, and lightly re-lube with something like Gardner-Bender Ox-Gard corrosion inhibitor. You don't want to get silly with this stuff... It may be useful to gently sand the inside of the case (the contacts, mainly) with some very fine sandpaper - a hobby shop should allow you to buy a small packet of sanding film, you'll want 600-grit or finer (numerically higher.) Flush thoroughly with contact cleaner if you sand, before applying corrosion inhibitor.

I've found it useful to apply a very light coat of RTV Black on the mating surfaces of the switch housing. Reassemble - no need to crank the screws down to hold it together.

Coat shift shaft (the flat-sided shaft the switch rides on) with never-seez, so it's easier to take the thing off next time. Install the switch. Torque the collet nut to 62 pound-inches/5 pound-feet. Adjust the switch - easiest way to do that is to block the wheels, turn the key on, and shift into reverse. Have a helper watch for the reverse lamps while you fiddle the switch underneath. Push the switch all the way to one extreme and slowly turn until the lamps turn ON (note position) and they turn OFF (note position.) Reset to midway between those two points, and tighten the adjusting screw to (I believe) 15 pound-feet (the spec is on my site.)

If you're anywhere near San Jose, CA; we can set a time for you to come down here so I can help you if you still feel lost. It's not that difficult, really.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:33 AM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

It is easy, I just did mine, and it works like champ now!! 2 hour job if you take your time...
Old 03-11-2009, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

wow thanks! I'll put it on the list of things I need to do!!