Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

How to check for a freon leak?

Old 07-06-2012, 07:23 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default How to check for a freon leak?

I'm not 100% sure but I suspect my Jeep my have a small freon leak in the AC system.

It blows somewhat cold at idle in traffic (definitely colder than it is outside but not ice cold) but doesn't get super cold unless you're driving on the highway (not stop and go).

I have heard in the past that they have some kind of 'dye' you can put in the AC system and you can tell if there is a leak because the die will expose itself wherever the leak is.

Does something like that actually exist? If so, has anyone used it and can you attest to it work? If so I think I might try some out just to make sure.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999

I'd recommend a trusted shop that specializes in AC.

Finding a leak can be tricky and is beyond the scope of most do it yourselfers. And if there is a leak, then there is evacuation of refrigerant, repair, etc.

I do as much work as I can on my XJ. I leave AC to the guys with the equipment and expertise. Well worth the money spent.

If you don't want to give up complete control to the shop, tell them to troubleshoot the problem and evacuate refrigerant if necessary. You can replace the failed component(s), then bring it back to them for a fill of refrigerant.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Yep, you can get just the dye, or the dye mixed with R134. You need a UV light to make it show up.
Sometimes you can find the leak by looking for oily residue. Then there's the matter of actually fixing it.

That is how my '96 has always been on super-hot days. Sorta-cold until you get moving. I suspect it's at least partly because the compressor is turning faster and because more air is moving over the condenser. I have a full charge & normal pressure readings.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:43 PM
Seasoned Member

Yeah, I'm not even sure whether it's worth testing for a leak because I have nothing to compare it to.

It's very cold when driving on this highway (or anything that isn't stop and go) but in traffic it isn't as cold. It's definitely not warm or anything in traffic, just not as cold.

If I do have a leak it's got to be a small one since it's been like this for months and the AC still seems to blow cold when you're constantly moving.

Also, I'm a little confused because some people say you NEVER have to change the refrigerant as long as it's not leaking and others say that even if it's not leaking you still need to change the refrigerant every few years.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by PumpinIron
Also, I'm a little confused because some people say you NEVER have to change the refrigerant as long as it's not leaking and others say that even if it's not leaking you still need to change the refrigerant every few years.
I can't come up with a good reason to change it "just because". It doesn't wear out.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by PumpinIron
I'm not 100% sure but I suspect my Jeep my have a small freon leak in the AC system.

It blows somewhat cold at idle in traffic (definitely colder than it is outside but not ice cold) but doesn't get super cold unless you're driving on the highway (not stop and go).

I have heard in the past that they have some kind of 'dye' you can put in the AC system and you can tell if there is a leak because the die will expose itself wherever the leak is.

Does something like that actually exist? If so, has anyone used it and can you attest to it work? If so I think I might try some out just to make sure.
does compressor sttay engaged while sitting at idlle sounds like it migt be more of a air flo problem
Old 07-06-2012, 08:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by Radi
I can't come up with a good reason to change it "just because". It doesn't wear out.
sounds like summer winter air in tires theory...lol...
Old 07-07-2012, 02:46 PM
Seasoned Member

Yes the compressor does stay engaged at idle.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

If it works logic says leave it alone, unless you want it to not work at all.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:58 PM
Seasoned Member

Haha, I'll leave it alone. However, it would be super easy to just add some dye to the low end of the compressor and go over it with a black light. I guess we will see!