Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

How bad is this rust

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default How bad is this rust

2000 Cherokee has been siting a while and isnt looking so good st the front wheels. How bad is the rust? What should be replaced or checked? How hard to do it myself. Thanks.

Old 09-27-2017, 04:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L 6cyl

About 50% of what I am seeing is surface rust and the other 50% looks to be more serious. If you hit the affected areas with a hammer and crumbled bits of rust fall to the pavement, then I would consider having that fixed, especially if you plan on lifting the truck. Another thing you can do is take a grinder to a spot you can reach and grind down the rust until you see clean metal. If, and only if, there is a good amount of metal left under all of that rust, You can treat it with OSPHO. It basically turns the rust into a primer and you can paint right over it. Thats strictly for surface rust though.

My thought is if the axle is in that bad of shape, how are your floor pans? I'M not jumping to conclusions, but my cherokee had VERY similar issues and this could be the same deal.
Old 09-27-2017, 04:11 PM

Thanks. I'm sure pieces will fall off in spots if hit, there's some lrettt good lamination in spots which is what has me concerned.

Not sure about the floor pans. Didn't take a look just yet. Where are the typical trouble spots on them to look?
Old 09-27-2017, 04:15 PM

This piece flaking off has me worried
Old 09-27-2017, 04:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 L6

Yeah, it's hard to tell what's underneath all that flaky stuff until you knock it off with a wire brush and grinder. We can't see much of the body/uniframe here at all, but it looks like there might be an issue above the swaybar on the right side of the uniframe.
Old 09-27-2017, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mfran12345
Thanks. I'm sure pieces will fall off in spots if hit, there's some lrettt good lamination in spots which is what has me concerned.

Not sure about the floor pans. Didn't take a look just yet. Where are the typical trouble spots on them to look?
I would just take a good look at the entire underside and see if its rusted through anywhere. Mine had it bad in the area behind the front wheels and in the floor of the rear seats, may not be the case here.

Looking at the picture a little closer, most of the stuff that i'm seeing is surface rust and a little sanding and some rust treatment will solve that. The only thing that I see that may be a problem is the bracket that is holding that steering linkage (not sure of the actual name but someone else can chime in on that if they must). Thats where I would persuade it with a hammer a little bit and see whats left of it. right where your arrow it pointed.

Hope this helps man, if you find that the floors are bad, shoot me a message and i'll send you some of the products that I used to repair my floor.

Also check EVERYWHERE else you can think of that can rust. Tbone mentioned the uniframe and now that I see it there bay be a can of worms there.

Last edited by Cherokoolguy; 09-27-2017 at 04:23 PM.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Cherokoolguy
I would just take a good look at the entire underside and see if its rusted through anywhere. Mine had it bad in the area behind the front wheels and in the floor of the rear seats, may not be the case here.

Looking at the picture a little closer, most of the stuff that i'm seeing is surface rust and a little sanding and some rust treatment will solve that. The only thing that I see that may be a problem is the bracket that is holding that steering linkage (not sure of the actual name but someone else can chime in on that if they must). Thats where I would persuade it with a hammer a little bit and see whats left of it. right where your arrow it pointed.

Hope this helps man, if you find that the floors are bad, shoot me a message and i'll send you some of the products that I used to repair my floor.

Also check EVERYWHERE else you can think of that can rust. Tbone mentioned the uniframe and now that I see it there bay be a can of worms there.
thanks for the advice. I'll try to get a good look and start cleaning it up this weekend and see what I find.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Wear safety glasses or safety goggles while you are poking around under there. If you wear eyeglasses, as i do, they wont be enough. Trust me. Its no fun at all getting that crap in your eye.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by fb97xj1
Wear safety glasses or safety goggles while you are poking around under there. If you wear eyeglasses, as i do, they wont be enough. Trust me. Its no fun at all getting that crap in your eye.
x2 on that one
Old 09-27-2017, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mfran12345
thanks for the advice. I'll try to get a good look and start cleaning it up this weekend and see what I find.
you da man
Old 09-28-2017, 09:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 L6

Originally Posted by fb97xj1
X3! I had some metal flakes removed from one of my eyes earlier this year. NOT FUN.

Let us know what you find.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

Do something to keep stuff out of your ears to. First thing you do is turn your head when you see it coming. I wear a hard hat liner. Guess ear plugs or cotton ***** might work. Had to have my right ear flushed yrs back when dirt,rust,etc got down too far.