Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Horn randomly going off

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 11:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Horn randomly going off

Hi all,
1997 XJ. 202k miles. No aftermarket alarm system.
Had a super random thing happen that I have never heard of or seen before. Randomly, at about 9PM at night my horn on my XJ started going off. I was sitting inside and I haven't driven the Jeep in about 3 or 4 days. I ran out there and there was no one parked near it, no one had broken in or anything. The horn was constantly going off as one steady beep. I quickly grabbed my keys and jumped inside, hitting the horn did nothing but as soon as I turn my key to the on position the horn stopped. And with the jeep running the horn wasn't beeping as well. However as soon as I turned the key to the accessory position or off position the constant beeping would start again. I hit the horn a few times again with the key in the on position and then turned it off and this seemed to fix it until I ever so slightly touched the horn again and it continued the beeping. I ended up disconnecting the battery. I didn't look too far into it (didn't look at the fuses or listen for relay, or even really pay attention to see if there were any warning lights on) because it was late and I was causing a scene already with the beeping.

A worthy side note: I live in washington state and it was about 32 degrees out. The jeep has been in weather this cold before and I've never seen this though.

I did a little research and read that it could be the horn cover expanding thus creating contact and the beeping of the horn, the only thing that doesn't add up is that it shut off immediately when I turned the key on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 277 Likes on 243 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

It could be the relay or the clock spring starting to go bad or the horn contacts in the steering column . because buy starting the jeep you probably turned the steering wheel a little and moved what ever was shorting out .