Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Hooking up AUX lights to reverse lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 10:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Hooking up AUX lights to reverse lights

So I just installed some new back up lights to my rear bumper. What I want to do is wire them into my current reverse lights. Im not an electrical guy so can anyone tell me how to do this. Is it as easy as finding my reverse lights wire's and somehow connecting the new lights to that? Thanks
Old 12-13-2009, 11:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990

go the bulb and use a splicer wire and just splice into it, no cutting needed.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:36 PM
Seasoned Member

sweet thanks. The bulb meaning the wires that lead to the bulb. Sorry just trying to clarify because with my luck I'll mess up everything.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:53 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by BigRed93xj
sweet thanks. The bulb meaning the wires that lead to the bulb. Sorry just trying to clarify because with my luck I'll mess up everything.
I'm going to sound like a broken record saying this, but please be careful doing that. the stock wiring might not be rated to carry the load of aux lights. Last thing you want is an electrical fire in your Jeep. If you need to run new wiring, tap into the reverse lights as the switch for a relay.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by ZachsXJ
I'm going to sound like a broken record saying this, but please be careful doing that. the stock wiring might not be rated to carry the load of aux lights. Last thing you want is an electrical fire in your Jeep. If you need to run new wiring, tap into the reverse lights as the switch for a relay.
Precisely! it's very simple to do with a relay. One main power wire from your main fuse panel, to a relay, the lights on the other side of that pole. a ground, and then one wire to one of your reverse lights to trigger the relay. Then you're only adding miliamps of draw to your stock wiring. much safer way!
Old 12-14-2009, 01:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1999 XJ
Engine: I6 4.0L

Another word of caution: if you need to reverse in traffic (like accidentally pulling over the pedestrian crosswalk) and you spotlight the car behind you don't be surprised to see some berries and cherries in your rearview a minute later. Ask me how I know. Use an override switch. When I'm on the trail, I can put it in reverse and the lights will come on (relay is the way to go). Paved roads they stay off.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:06 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by alpine.adrenaline
Another word of caution: if you need to reverse in traffic (like accidentally pulling over the pedestrian crosswalk) and you spotlight the car behind you don't be surprised to see some berries and cherries in your rearview a minute later. Ask me how I know. Use an override switch. When I'm on the trail, I can put it in reverse and the lights will come on (relay is the way to go). Paved roads they stay off.
True that, I forgot to mention. Run new wiring and on the one "hot" wire you have to run from the fuse panel, run it through a switch in the dash somewhere so you can keep them off while on the pavement.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1999 XJ
Engine: I6 4.0L

BTW, my clever cousin wired the relay to his 4wd light instead of a switch. That way they only turn on with it in reverse and 4 wheel drive.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:53 PM
Seasoned Member

aww I see. Those are all great points. The main reason why Im doing this is because my xj has really dark tint. I can barely see out my rear view mirror at night. And backing up at night is especially scary just because I cant see. The lights were my idea to help brighten the back side of my car while backing up. I think the relay is a great idea but I might just wire in the switch so I can just use it when I need to. But knowing me i'll forget that it's there and never use it, and then back up into something....
Old 12-14-2009, 04:59 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by BigRed93xj
aww I see. Those are all great points. The main reason why Im doing this is because my xj has really dark tint. I can barely see out my rear view mirror at night. And backing up at night is especially scary just because I cant see. The lights were my idea to help brighten the back side of my car while backing up. I think the relay is a great idea but I might just wire in the switch so I can just use it when I need to. But knowing me i'll forget that it's there and never use it, and then back up into something....
the point of the relay is so you don't have the main(55w or whatever) load that the lights are pulling going straight through the switch. Its much safer, thus why your horn, starter, headlights and anything in the Jeep is run from relay switched power.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:04 PM
MJ>XJ

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0 I6

you can just mount a toggle switch on your shifter rod also and flick it when u use reverse... this way you dont have to take your hand off the shifter... and when u want to use the lights (trailer hookup) and not reverse then you still can...
Old 12-14-2009, 05:12 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by huntingman2706217
you can just mount a toggle switch on your shifter rod also and flick it when u use reverse... this way you dont have to take your hand off the shifter... and when u want to use the lights (trailer hookup) and not reverse then you still can...
yeah, that works, I have a buddy who did that with his TJ. He should use a relay either way
Old 12-14-2009, 05:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L I6 Powertech

yea i would actually wire them just like normal off road lamps! just in case somethin would be needed or whatever.....
Old 12-14-2009, 05:44 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by truckntractorhick
yea i would actually wire them just like normal off road lamps! just in case somethin would be needed or whatever.....
Lol, to some ppl 18gauge wire and 55w bulbs going straight through a switch is the "proper" way to wire them
Old 12-14-2009, 06:14 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 straight 6

i was thinking something like using the 3rd brake light wire and hooking a toggle switch up to that i mean wouldent the 3rd brake light work if u just run a wired switch along the door panel to the rear then connect to the blue and black wires next to the drivers side rear speaker then when u want to back up flip the toggle switch and bingo some sort of small driving lights u mount kick on and the back of you is lit up good for in the woods where no street lights are. U would beable to see better? you would prolly blind ppl in the city idk depends where there pointed to or mounted. Top of the hatch door back bumper. just throwing an idea out there i mean u would be able to see your trailer and hitch better too.Hooking up to the 4wd light seems like alot of work ive already got my tail lights and dash and shift and 4wd lights tided in somewhere i dont know if u do too but them extra lights would prolly be safer hooked up to a wire direct e.g 3rd optinal brake light wire rather then spliced into a wire with a good load already on it??? i think it would work idk im just throwing it out there

Last edited by 4wheeldrivenewbie; 12-14-2009 at 06:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Hooking up AUX lights to reverse lights