Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Hole in firewall for 2000 Jeep Cherokee sport? and speaker issues. PLEASE HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Hole in firewall for 2000 Jeep Cherokee sport? and speaker issues. PLEASE HELP!!!!

Hi all,
I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee sport
I am having trouble finding a spot in my firewall to drill a hole to run the power cable for my amp to my battery. I will be running 8gauge (i believe it is 8guage, its for a 1000watt peak amp). Preferribly, i want to go thru the passenger side so i can run the power down that side and not to go across too much engine, but if it is easier, i will run it thru the driver side if needed. After i get thru the firewall i will be fine, its just that step that has stalled me. A pic would be AWESOME, but if you could at least tell me where in relation to other notible objects, that would still be extremely helpful.
Also, i am having a problem with my front two door speakers. when i got the vehicle, the stock speakers made absolutly no noise at all, so i thought they may be blown or the stock deck may have a problem. however, when i installed my alpine type-s speakers, which worked when i took them out of my '01 Cherokee sport, they were completely silent as well. I know its not a problem with my harness, since all connections were done with solder, and it is the same exact harness i took/used in my '01, and they are the same speaker harnesses as well, even one of them being brand new (since the people that did my first install were dumb****s and cut the factory "clip" and cut the clip attachment from the harness and just used wirenuts to connect it - dumb****s).
If anyone can help me with either of these problems, that would be awesome, and i would be eternally grateful

THANKS!
Old 02-28-2011, 05:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.o

Your best bet is the drivers side near the master cylinder, there is a plug in the firewall where the clutch master would be (assuming that you have an auto). As far as the door speakers go , usually the wiring in the door opening breaks, repair or run new wires from the head unit to each speaker.
Good luck!
Old 03-01-2011, 10:16 AM

Thank you very much for your response.
I will give that a try this weekend when I have am home from school and have a chance. Ill let you know if I find the hole needed
Old 03-01-2011, 10:50 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

you will need to run new wire to the door speakers. its a pretty common problem for the door speaker wire to get breaks in it.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 98
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by rangerone
you will need to run new wire to the door speakers. its a pretty common problem for the door speaker wire to get breaks in it.
I had to do that with both of my front speakers. As for the power wire. I ran it from the bat down the fender wall and into the wheel well. I removed the splash gaurd and drilled a hole there and ran it into the cabin. When I get a chance I will take a pic for you.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:01 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by captainwoot
Your best bet is the drivers side near the master cylinder, there is a plug in the firewall where the clutch master would be (assuming that you have an auto). As far as the door speakers go , usually the wiring in the door opening breaks, repair or run new wires from the head unit to each speaker.
Good luck!
I just drilled a hole right through this plug. Fortunately my power wire include in the amp kit was plenty long enough to run under the center console to under the back seat where my amp sits.