Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

HighPinion Dana 30 questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default HighPinion Dana 30 questions

I have a couple of questions for you guys that know way more about this stuff then me.
1. how can you tell if you have a bent axle tube?
2. I have a 99 XJ, and have been having problems with the front diff ever since I bought it. There is a guy local who has a high-pinion (reverse rotation) non-disconnect Dana 30 from a 1995 Jeep Cherokee. Would this work in my 99, or does it have to be a 96+ cherokee diff setup?

I thought I read somewhere that the axle shafts for my 99 had to be from a 96 and up cherokee, but im not exactly sure.
So can someone please advise me on this.

Thanks
Old 08-04-2012, 09:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990

Theres no way of really just looking at it and assuming the axle tube is bent. If you are having issues witht he front diff, it could be a number of things going on with it. As far as bolting up a HP axle, it should be a direct swap. Everything should swap over although the u-joints might be different if you have the big u-joints currently. The HP axle is actually more desirable since its a tougher axle anyways. Hope this clears some stuff up.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:35 PM

I have a high pinion and this other is a high pinion, I was just wondering if the year differences made a difference.
Ive ran through the gammit on this front end and its still making this clunking noise. I originally broke the pinion bearing while crawling, had a new ring and pinion installed, new locker, after that I broke the passenger side axle, so I recently replaced that, and the wheel hub and its still doing it. The only thing I havent done is replace the carrier bearings, carrier, or drivers side axle shaft itself. Could it be possible that the carrier has gone bad, or one of the axles themselves is bent I guess. I guess I should put a straight edge on them and check them. Not sure how any other way. It only acts up in 4 wheel drive and it sounds like something is banging inside the diff when it rotates or something. Its driving me nuts.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990

Ah I just assumed you had a LP D30. I dont remember the cut off year for HP and LP D30. It could be a bent shaft, or tube itself like you suspect. I would imagine that it would leak diff fluid though if the axle or tube was bent. Did you check your tolerances when the ring gear and pinion were replaced?
Old 08-04-2012, 09:49 PM

I had the ring and pinion professionally replaced, but put the locker in myself and it seemed fine. Ive installed a couple of lunchbox lockers in the past to get that part right. So I dont think its that. Its not leaking any fluid or anything either. Its got me completely confused.