Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

higher then normal HC and CO levels along with un normal behavior on renix

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 04:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 88
Engine: 4.0

Gf jeep no previous problems ran fine just leaked oil from between head and block. Well had head cleaned, fluxed, surfaced, and pressure tested all came out fine. Did the c101 elimination, and most if not all the things cruiser has mentioned with renix era. Well this is where problems started .
She noticed lack of power, longer starts, and mpg drop and a strong smell of oil on start up. Well checked it out again.
Pulled valve cover off found a valve seal guide no longer sitting on the guide ( I had just replaced when head was off with the one off the felpro head gasket kit so probably my error). Should of pulled and replaced all again bit didn't.
Replaced injectors with 746 and good ohm readings , (didn't have rebuild kits at the time no I do), replaced o2 sensor, along with exhaust from the cat back with another exhaust that had laying around, ( which may be my problem ).
I also removed some other items that were not plugged in or being used.
I noticed cruiser posted more about the c101 and noticed something that I may have done wrong bit maybe not. With the brown and white tracer that all three wires are joined together and are not included with the new wire loom and seen to share a on the firewall it look like.
Well my question is, why since doing these things I get a rise in HC and CO when previous year is was almost.nothing?
Only things I can really thing of is that cat is bad, the valve seal is still dumping oil into the cylinder, or I messed up on the c101 or on something else with the wiring.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:20 AM
CF Veteran

Forgot pic of emissions print out.
Attached Thumbnails higher then normal HC and CO levels along with un normal behavior on renix-forumrunner_20150317_032017.png  
Old 03-17-2015, 08:14 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

It runs okay?

The valve seals need to be addressed.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:34 PM
CF Veteran

On start up it run for about 5 seconds when die out. Restarts fine but have to pedal the throttle for a little bit and then will stay running. I've driven it a couple times and I can not feel a difference from before.
It's just quieter as it had a short cat with glass pack that dumped right before the axle now has a bigger cat with a flowmaster that exits the rear like normal.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:47 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

How's the vacuum line from the throttle body to MAP? Must be perfect.
Attached Thumbnails higher then normal HC and CO levels along with un normal behavior on renix-tb-map-tube-2.jpg  
Old 03-18-2015, 01:53 AM
CF Veteran

Speaking about that I did notice that it wasn't permanent like it once was before. I'll check that out tomorrow when I finish up my mom car in the morning.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:28 PM
CF Veteran

Map tube is good fixed it with another tube I had. Moved the wires from the c101 better into three different looms. Checked for vac leaks with carb cleaner noting changed so no vac problems. Haven't done the valve seals yet but will this next day or weekend.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:17 AM
CF Veteran

did the seals ran fine for about two week the she noticed the long crank time and dying while first start. Noticed the other day that oil was leaking from the number 6 cylinder exhaust/intake area. Brought it back to check it out once again and again #6 exhaust seal sitting off the seat, but also noticed that 2,3,4 were all off the seat too, and all are exhaust no intake. I also noticed that those 4 valve are burnt up in the head and the stem side with black traces of oil coming from the top the other two are normal. i just cant get my head around what is going on.
Pulled the head off and will either have it rechecked again or use the other head i have and rebuilt this one. I also have another motor that has about 190k on it, but been torn apart since last year, the short block it still complete just a little dirty since i removed the tape from the deck the last couple months.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:33 AM
CF Veteran

I kinda forgot about this one so, some update and findings.
Well took it back the machine shop with two new set of guide seal thinking maybe it just me had them clean and vac and instal seal. Well next day drop head off late afternoon, Guy calls me up heads ready. Roll by and say I did everything right it was someone else. Well at one point in time head was repaired and new valve guides were installed, well they were the right one but ones off a 240, which explained why I had so many problems. He couldn't explain why they did it either but apperently it worked. Slapped head back on and just recently did the emissions test and passed with flying colors, and a hell of a lot lower then was before.