Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

High pitch whine at idle and slight acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default High pitch whine at idle and slight acceleration

Ok so this morning my 1993 jeep cherokee country started doing this high pitch at idle and if you pressed very lightly on the gas it would do it rather loud. Popped the hood nothing super obvious and hard to tell where the noise is coming from.

Oil is about 1.5 quarts low havent had a chance to add that but doubt it is that. Trans is in the middle of the fluid area and a light red/brown.

here is a video showing the sound and how it dissappears with moderate acceleration.

video:

click image ^ or click link below

http://s66.beta.photobucket.com/user...O0001.mp4.html
Old 12-31-2012, 10:28 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could be a loose serpentine belt but when mine is loose it's a bit of a higher pitched whine. Doesn't hurt to tighten it up to see if it changes anything.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1059186

Idler pulley could've also gone bad.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Muaddib420
Could be a loose serpentine belt but when mine is loose it's a bit of a higher pitched whine. Doesn't hurt to tighten it up to see if it changes anything.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1059186

Idler pulley could've also gone bad.
That belt is on there real snug, seriously I had to tighten it twice the first time before I understood how it worked. I figure its probably alright for a bit But I swear to god I dont want to start just randomly replacing pulleys. I figured if it was the belt it would get worse with accel though.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Mine made a very similar noise; it turned out to be the AC compressor going bad. I ended up removing it and putting the compressor delete pulley in its place.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Derision
Mine made a very similar noise; it turned out to be the AC compressor going bad. I ended up removing it and putting the compressor delete pulley in its place.
The previous owner replaced the ac not too long ago(havent had the jeep too long) so better not be that.

I put wd40 on the idler pulley and its gone away.....so we will see if that is the pulley or she is just being trixy as I havent driven more then in the parking lot since I sprayed wd40 on it. Not a permanent fix but I think I know the reason for the noise.

And my jeep is blowing alittle white smoke again...................cant win lol
Old 12-31-2012, 05:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Have you ever done any preventive maintainance to your Jeep? Just driving it around when you know it's low on oil (where did 1 1/2 quarts go to? how long does it take to remove the oil fill & dump some in?) is not the best idea if you expect any type of relability out of it. Add to that the fact it is almost 20 years old your going to be replacing or paying to have things replaced regardless.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
Have you ever done any preventive maintainance to your Jeep? Just driving it around when you know it's low on oil (where did 1 1/2 quarts go to? how long does it take to remove the oil fill & dump some in?) is not the best idea if you expect any type of relability out of it. Add to that the fact it is almost 20 years old your going to be replacing or paying to have things replaced regardless.
You come off quite rude, while offering now worth while anything.......so I could be rude back but I wont.

I checked the oil and it is low so I added oil and I have had this jeep for 2-3 months now. I traded a project truck for it roughly a "800" jeep that I try to keep running in the realm of a daily driver while spending as little to keep it running but at the same accepting that somethings need more then the most minimal things. Like I just bought 400 dollar tires as it needed them.

I have done alot of prevent maintanence, I have changed the oil several times in the short ownership, run detergent through, run sea foam and cleaned the throttle body out, I have cleaned the CCV system, replaced the trans pan gasket. I have fixed the many and varied electrical issues. I have replaced the leaking heater valve by bypassing it while at the same time flushing the coolant system. I have replaced the belt and even greased the fittings.

So before you make rude comments that benefit no one, ponder this. I had a buddy make a positive suggestion towards fixing my problem(not critizing me) It seems to be a good way to figure out which pulley makes noise so I posted how I temp fixed the issue AND how my buddy says is the cheapest and most reliable way to figure out which pulley is going bad.

So not only am I better off someone who may have a similiar issue may also find good gouge in here.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:44 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

What's "gouge"?
Old 01-01-2013, 07:14 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by SILENT_SOUL
The previous owner replaced the ac not too long ago(havent had the jeep too long) so better not be that.

I put wd40 on the idler pulley and its gone away.....so we will see if that is the pulley or she is just being trixy as I havent driven more then in the parking lot since I sprayed wd40 on it. Not a permanent fix but I think I know the reason for the noise.

And my jeep is blowing alittle white smoke again...................cant win lol
Idler pulley's an easy one, at least. The white smoke, though... that gimme the jibblies. Head gasket?

You come off quite rude, while offering now worth while anything.......so I could be rude back but I wont.

I checked the oil and it is low so I added oil and I have had this jeep for 2-3 months now. I traded a project truck for it roughly a "800" jeep that I try to keep running in the realm of a daily driver while spending as little to keep it running but at the same accepting that somethings need more then the most minimal things. Like I just bought 400 dollar tires as it needed them.

I have done alot of prevent maintanence, I have changed the oil several times in the short ownership, run detergent through, run sea foam and cleaned the throttle body out, I have cleaned the CCV system, replaced the trans pan gasket. I have fixed the many and varied electrical issues. I have replaced the leaking heater valve by bypassing it while at the same time flushing the coolant system. I have replaced the belt and even greased the fittings.

So before you make rude comments that benefit no one, ponder this. I had a buddy make a positive suggestion towards fixing my problem(not critizing me) It seems to be a good way to figure out which pulley makes noise so I posted how I temp fixed the issue AND how my buddy says is the cheapest and most reliable way to figure out which pulley is going bad.

So not only am I better off someone who may have a similiar issue may also find good gouge in here.
I don't think he was intentionally being rude, but I see what you're saying. You'd be surprised how many people think that these things are essentially invincible, and that they can just buy a 20-year-old car, put gas in it and have it be a reliable daily driver. I used to work with a guy that ran his Explorer without oil for close to a month, and was then shocked and outraged that the engine seized up. When I explained that, you know, he had no oil, he insisted that couldn't have been the problem because the engine couldn't possible seize whilst it was running. Yeah.

Either way, it seems like you're doing everything that you should be. Hopefully the white smoke issue isn't anything terrible. Head gasket keeps popping into my brain, because it's one of my greatest paranoias, but hopefully it either isn't that, or you can fix it easily.

D
Old 01-01-2013, 07:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Could be the power steering pump does the sound change when you turn the wheel?
Old 01-01-2013, 09:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

I’m sorry if I upset you in asking for relevant information. Next time I'll ask no questions, I will just suggest replacing $1800.00 worth of parts. I hope you won't be mad at me then.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude, you got a hidden turbo 4.0 lol. All 6 cherokees that I've had of mine whine when accelerating I don't think you have to worry
Old 01-01-2013, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by cruiser54
What's "gouge"?
gouge is just slang for good info, I picked it up being in the navy maybe its a navy thing idk lol

Originally Posted by Derision
Idler pulley's an easy one, at least. The white smoke, though... that gimme the jibblies. Head gasket?

I don't think he was intentionally being rude, but I see what you're saying. You'd be surprised how many people think that these things are essentially invincible, and that they can just buy a 20-year-old car, put gas in it and have it be a reliable daily driver. I used to work with a guy that ran his Explorer without oil for close to a month, and was then shocked and outraged that the engine seized up. When I explained that, you know, he had no oil, he insisted that couldn't have been the problem because the engine couldn't possible seize whilst it was running. Yeah.

Either way, it seems like you're doing everything that you should be. Hopefully the white smoke issue isn't anything terrible. Head gasket keeps popping into my brain, because it's one of my greatest paranoias, but hopefully it either isn't that, or you can fix it easily.

D
Well the previous owner supposedly replaced the headgasket, ive thought it was just oil in the intake as the CCV was clogged completely and the air intake house was sucking oil out of the head through the CCV house and was soaking the airfilter. It looked like this was going on for a while so I cleaned the system and ran sea foam(the right way) and cleaned the throttle body out along with intake. White smoke went away but now its coming back.......kinda pisses me off cause I thought I fixed the issue and it doesnt look like it.

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
Could be the power steering pump does the sound change when you turn the wheel?
Its not the power steering pump, trust me, it might have been the pulley but attached to the pump but I know its the idler pulley now.

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J

I’m sorry if I upset you in asking for relevant information. Next time I'll ask no questions, I will just suggest replacing $1800.00 worth of parts. I hope you won't be mad at me then.
Sometimes it seems you have to prove your not an idiot to get mildly helpful responses, not always. So I posted absolutely any info I found when I went under the hood.....I mean honest alittle low oil isnt gonna cause the issue at hand, but to keep any stupid is the oil level good or some silly question like that I put that it was alittle low. You are right its 20 years old I dont expect much but if I can keep using it with alittle fixing up here and there ill do it. You basically wrote me off as an idiot because I couldnt diagnoise an issue. So it goes to think that by asking for help and admitting you(myself in this case) dont know everything puts yourself at risk for a witch hunt by the self appointed idiot finder committee members

Originally Posted by Finch
Dude, you got a hidden turbo 4.0 lol. All 6 cherokees that I've had of mine whine when accelerating I don't think you have to worry
Mine whines but this whine noise was deafening like seriously it was extremely loud, ive never encountered something like that. I have replaced pulleys but they were obviously bad(wobbling and visibly being wrong) all the pulleys looked fine when this noise was happening.

ON A SIDE NOTE
This WD40 temp fix has lasted for 70+ miles without having to ad more wd40....so if anyone runs into this and cant replace the idler pulley, doesnt have the money, or like me doesnt have the time to do it right away wd40 works wonders
Old 01-01-2013, 08:51 PM

Engine: I6

I use pb blast on my intermediate steering shaft. the little u joints like to get stiff
Old 01-01-2013, 11:20 PM
Seasoned Member

Well the previous owner supposedly replaced the headgasket, ive thought it was just oil in the intake as the CCV was clogged completely and the air intake house was sucking oil out of the head through the CCV house and was soaking the airfilter. It looked like this was going on for a while so I cleaned the system and ran sea foam(the right way) and cleaned the throttle body out along with intake. White smoke went away but now its coming back.......kinda pisses me off cause I thought I fixed the issue and it doesnt look like it.
Does the smoke smell at all? Like, anything identifiable? Mine burns a tiny bit of oil at idle (leaky valve stem seals) but that tends to be blue-ish smoke, and it's pretty identifiable. White smoke... I was under the impression that white smoke was generally water or antifreeze. Hopefully not, though.

Sometimes it seems you have to prove your not an idiot to get mildly helpful responses, not always. So I posted absolutely any info I found when I went under the hood.....I mean honest alittle low oil isnt gonna cause the issue at hand, but to keep any stupid is the oil level good or some silly question like that I put that it was alittle low. You are right its 20 years old I dont expect much but if I can keep using it with alittle fixing up here and there ill do it. You basically wrote me off as an idiot because I couldnt diagnoise an issue. So it goes to think that by asking for help and admitting you(myself in this case) dont know everything puts yourself at risk for a witch hunt by the self appointed idiot finder committee members
I agree, and it's generally encouraged to post as much information as possible when asking questions. I've gotten a couple of answers that I felt pointed out my inadequacy at diagnosing Jeep issues (this is me second Jeep, but most of my car knowledge comes from GM B- and G-Bodies). I just take it as we're all part of a rather large, somewhat dysfunctional family. Heheh.

ON A SIDE NOTE
This WD40 temp fix has lasted for 70+ miles without having to ad more wd40....so if anyone runs into this and cant replace the idler pulley, doesnt have the money, or like me doesnt have the time to do it right away wd40 works wonders
Well, that's pretty good then, for a quick fix. I'd be curious to know how long it lasts. Are you still planning on swapping out the idler pulley, or just going to run it as is and see how long the WD40 fix, er, fixes it?

Originally Posted by bloddy mud
I use pb blast on my intermediate steering shaft. the little u joints like to get stiff
I've been hitting the bolts holding the leaf springs on, and the leaf spring shackles, and the nuts and bolts holding the shocks in, with PB Blaster once a week in anticipation of eventually having to replace them. That stuff is the shiznit.

D

Last edited by Derision; 01-01-2013 at 11:23 PM.

Quick Reply: High pitch whine at idle and slight acceleration