Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

hi-flow water pump, housing and thermostat

Old 04-06-2010, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default hi-flow water pump, housing and thermostat

I want to prepare my 2001 XJ Sport for the heat before taking it to Baja. I'm replacing the radiator and am confused 'cuz I see people talk about the CSF 3-row all metal from Radiator Barn and the hi-flow 1 3/8 tube aluminum core with 18 fins per inch from McCulloch Fabricating. Guy at McCulloch says a 3-row may be too thick to fit in the space available and may actually make it harder for air to pass through. True or no?
Also, from what I'm reading, it looks like a real good idea to replace the water pump with the FlowKooler all-aluminum high-flow unit. Sounds like the thermostat housing and thermostat then should also be replaced with high-flow units, is that correct? I looked for the Turbo City high-flow housing but cannot seem to find that part number on their website. Any idea if they quit making it? Any other good choices? And which thermostat would be best to go with? Thanks for the help!