Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Here is a dumb question....

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 01:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Here is a dumb question....

Please don't think less of me, but I have no clue what an SYE is, means, or what the hell it does. Why would you need one? Just wondering. Thanks guys.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:57 AM

Year: 1989
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0L I6

SYE-slip yoke eliminator

its used more on the later model cherokees with lift as they removed the tail cone on the Tcase which caused a lack of support for the output shaft and when lifted results in vibes

so if your lifted and the rear output on your Tcase has a rubber piece instead of aluminum tailcone and you have vibes chances are you need an SYE

its installed buy cutting down the rear output shaft to reduce the driveline angle
Old 06-30-2009, 02:01 AM

I was wondering what a SYE was also. So the older cherokees (im getting a 91 xj) don't need them as much as the newer ones? should i still consider getting one?(im only going to do moderate trails no crazy stuff and it will be my DD)
Old 06-30-2009, 02:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: AMC242

Another nice thing about the SYE is the elimination of the slip yoke at the transfer case in favour of a fixed yoke (like the front output.) This means that the seal will always be engaged on its mating surface, whether the driveshaft is in place or not.

So, you can remove your rear driveshaft and limp home in FWD without losing all of your fluid! The slip joint moves from the yoke (as OEM) to the driveshaft (like the front.)
Old 06-30-2009, 02:10 AM

5-90 brings up a good point....now i might have a reason to do an SYE when i do my 8.8 swap

but you probly wont need it for your 91 unless your goin above 4.5" lift
Old 06-30-2009, 02:33 AM

yeah its going to be 5 and i might as well spend the extra money just in case, what is the best one in your guy's opinion
Old 06-30-2009, 02:38 AM
G_P

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 H.O

Originally Posted by 5-90
Another nice thing about the SYE is the elimination of the slip yoke at the transfer case in favour of a fixed yoke (like the front output.) This means that the seal will always be engaged on its mating surface, whether the driveshaft is in place or not.

So, you can remove your rear driveshaft and limp home in FWD without losing all of your fluid! The slip joint moves from the yoke (as OEM) to the driveshaft (like the front.)

Thats what worries me. I have a stock 93 and take it down some trails. Nothing major, no large rocks or deep mud but I'm worried that if I break the rear shaft I'm stuck because I can't just pull it and drive home in FWD.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by G_P
Thats what worries me. I have a stock 93 and take it down some trails. Nothing major, no large rocks or deep mud but I'm worried that if I break the rear shaft I'm stuck because I can't just pull it and drive home in FWD.

youve obviously never seen what can be done with a gatorade bottle , some paper towl or rags, and a crap load of duct tape

(ill see if ive still got the picture)

as for mango i wouldnt worry about it at 5" do your lift first see if you have a problem then if you do get vibes do the SYE

as for best im not sure of any others aside from rubicon express

and im not sure if the procedure is the same for a NP242...might have to do hack-n-tap

not sure though as i havent looked into it too much but im sure someone else who knows will chime in
Old 06-30-2009, 03:49 AM

also wondering if coil spacers are a bad idea?
Old 06-30-2009, 04:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001

Originally Posted by mango dingo
also wondering if coil spacers are a bad idea?
nope, everyone uses them.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

a slip yoke eliminator removes the slip section in the driveshaft and replaces the output shaft to shorten the tailstock and bolting the new rear driveshaft directly to the output shaft, therefor allowing you to use a longer driveshaft resulting in less driveline angles, reducing vibration.

that and what 5-90 said.

best sye on the market is from advanced adapters (AA). although it's only available for the 231 transfer case, there is however a "hack-n-tap" version made by rubicon express to use with the 242 transfer case.

using a sye has other advantages also, it will eliminate the potential of having your driveshaft pull all the way out of your t-case when the rear axle is hyper extended from things like jumping your junk or lifting on a hoist.

also needed if you use those revolver type shackles. however a limiting strap is still recommended.

Last edited by caged; 06-30-2009 at 08:39 AM.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:46 AM

Year: 1992

Originally Posted by rubicancherokee
Please don't think less of me, but I have no clue what an SYE is, means, or what the hell it does. Why would you need one? Just wondering. Thanks guys.
It's actually interesting how many acronyms get made up on the fly and the next thing you know a bunch of people start using them in groups etc. I have installed a couple SYE’s but I had no clue what you were talking about until someone responded to what it stood for…I wouldn’t worry too much about.
Ok so this goes a bit off the topic but something I still laugh about today. About 10 years ago I was shopping for a new car stereo in Seattle. There was younger guy trying to sell me all kinds of stuff and was really pumped up. He started dropping acronyms so I asked him what he meant by RMS. His response was “Real Music Sound.” I chuckled and ended up walking out of the store…RMS in the electrical world is Root Mean Square for those who were not sure.
The SYE’s I installed were on NP231 (New Process Gear, Syracuse New York) equipped Wranglers with a 6” lift. Great point on limping home on one driveshaft.

Last edited by tomasharvey; 06-30-2009 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Spelling