Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Help!!Weird Brake issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Help!!Weird Brake issue

I've got a strange issue I hope someone can help me with. I can't find anything on it anywhere. We've got a 90 XJ pioneer that when I am going forward I have brakes and nice solid petal. If I put it in reverse and back up a little ways the pedal goes to the floor. No brakes, Not just soft. If I put it back and drive and pump the petal It gets firm again and will stop all day until I put it in reverse and the same problem happens again. I bled the brakes all the way, changed the wheel cyliders and shoes. I checked the entire system for leaks. I just don't get it. I don't understand why the direction would have an effect on the system. I'm missing something. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:57 PM

Engine: 4.0

I am curious
Old 10-02-2010, 10:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 H.O. K&N, Borla headers, custom down pipe, magnaflow hi-flo cat, flowmaster to turn down tip

it is your brake boster, it is not holding vacumme while you are in reverse, i assume you have an auto, just replace it with a later (92-96 2 stage brake booster) one and you will be fine. it is easy and you can pick one of these 2 stage ones up for like 20-30 bucks in the junkyard
Old 10-03-2010, 10:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 2000

Originally Posted by trans_am7935
it is your brake boster, it is not holding vacumme while you are in reverse, i assume you have an auto, just replace it with a later (92-96 2 stage brake booster) one and you will be fine. it is easy and you can pick one of these 2 stage ones up for like 20-30 bucks in the junkyard
Why would it only lose vacuum in reverse? This just doesn't make any sense. there is NO connection anywhere between the transmission and the brake system.

My guess is that something in your rear brakes is missing allowing the shoes to rotate in the drum. If the puck inside the wheel cylinder moves too far out of it's bore it will allow a long pedal travel.

Makes sure that you have both pins that hold the shoes to the backing plate and that the ebrake cables are attached.
Also make sure that the star wheel is properly adjusted and working.
If the rear drum brakes are not adjusted properly you will get a low pedal when braking.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:38 AM
CF Veteran

here is a Youtube series on brakes.
Very informative.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Originally Posted by Jamie57
Why would it only lose vacuum in reverse?

My guess is that something in your rear brakes is missing allowing the shoes to rotate in the drum.
That makes no sense.

He's got 4 wheel drums? I doubt it. The fronts would still stop the truck.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:54 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Gee oh Dee
That makes no sense.

Ummm so what? by your reasoning you really don't need rear brakes if your only going to use the front.

Do you really think thats good advice to be telling someone worried about their brakes?

Your brake system should ALWAYS be working properly if your going to drive on any public road.
The OP wants his vehicle to work right.
He wants Good advice.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:03 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by jeepfan777
If I put it in reverse and back up a little ways the pedal goes to the floor. No brakes, Not just soft. If I put it back and drive and pump the petal It gets firm again and will stop all day until I put it in reverse and the same problem happens again.
Do you hear any clunk or something from the front end when you do that?

I've seen where the calipers were not seated properly and moved allowing the puck to almost come out of the bore.

The hard pedal then the soft pedal means that the brake fluid is going somewhere. It's a closed system and if there are no leaks something is moving past it's design limits only when you're in reverse.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 v8

listen to jamie, he knows what he's talking about, and just so you know booster issues have a symptom of a hard pedal, not soft. Soft is too much movement of brake pistons (due to many reasons) or air in the lines, yours seems like something is moving outta place while braking in reverse, I agree on checking all mount points for everything.
Old 10-03-2010, 12:14 PM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee

Originally Posted by trans_am7935
bad booster equals rock hard pedal.

Why would it only lose vacuum in reverse? This just doesn't make any sense. there is NO connection anywhere between the transmission and the brake system.

My guess is that something in your rear brakes is missing allowing the shoes to rotate in the drum. If the puck inside the wheel cylinder moves too far out of it's bore it will allow a long pedal travel.

Makes sure that you have both pins that hold the shoes to the backing plate and that the ebrake cables are attached.
Also make sure that the star wheel is properly adjusted and working.
If the rear drum brakes are not adjusted properly you will get a low pedal when braking.
are the shoes on backward or are both primarys on one side and the secondaries on the other side
Old 10-03-2010, 12:39 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: 1998 4.0 242

sounds like something wrong or backwards like previous mentioned with the drums mechanics check it out
Old 10-03-2010, 04:22 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Willys55
bad booster equals rock hard pedal.

are the shoes on backward or are both primarys on one side and the secondaries on the other side
Good one! Forgot about that. Haven't made that mistake in over 30 years.
The primary shoe should always be the the front, facing the front of the vehicle
Old 10-05-2010, 11:21 AM
CF Veteran

Ummm so what? by your reasoning you really don't need rear brakes if your only going to use the front.

Do you really think thats good advice to be telling someone worried about their brakes?

Your brake system should ALWAYS be working properly if your going to drive on any public road.
The OP wants his vehicle to work right.
He wants Good advice.

Excuse me? What advice did I give?

I told you that what you stated made no sense, that is all. If it were JUST back brakes, the fronts would still aid in stopping the vehilce, so there is possibly a bigger issue than just back brakes. The OP stated he has NO brakes.

Never once did I suggest driving the vehicle, let alone on public roads. Never once did I suggest his brake system is "OK" if not working properly.

There was no reasoning given on my end, you put TONS of words in my mouth.

With that reasoning, if the OP wants good advice, he should ignore you, who obviously doesn't read everything posted. Or doesn't pay attention to what he reads.

Now, let me clearify my post for you, since you have NO clue what I intended to convey...

Originally Posted by Gee oh Dee
That makes no sense.

What I meant was that the fronts should still help stop the truck somewhat, unless there is indeed something else wrong with the system other than rear brakes.

Better for ya Jamie?
Old 10-05-2010, 11:45 AM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

I'd put my money on drum setup as has already been covered.

One quirk about these brakes that even surprised me when I discovered it.

I lost the rear brakes on my 97 at work when a rusted line blew out. I drove the 45 miles home by downshifting and using the ebrake. The front brakes would supply a little stopping power, but not enough to amount to much when going forward.

I got home and prepped to back the truck into my parking spot and out of habit, tried to stop the truck with the brake pedal. NADA. Absolutely nothing. Luckily I was able to slap it into neutral and grab the ebrake before I smashed into my garage.

I have no idea why, but if you have no rear brakes, the design of the master cylinder and proportioning valve doesn't let the fronts do diddly squat in reverse.

I did a how-to here: Maybe some of the pictures might help to sort out the mechanical stuff?

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/ho...-8-25-a-58947/
Old 10-05-2010, 11:50 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 2Evil4U
I'd put my money on drum setup as has already been covered.

One quirk about these brakes that even surprised me when I discovered it.

I lost the rear brakes on my 97 at work when a rusted line blew out. I drove the 45 miles home by downshifting and using the ebrake. The front brakes would supply a little stopping power, but not enough to amount to much when going forward.

I got home and prepped to back the truck into my parking spot and out of habit, tried to stop the truck with the brake pedal. NADA. Absolutely nothing. Luckily I was able to slap it into neutral and grab the ebrake before I smashed into my garage.

I have no idea why, but if you have no rear brakes, the design of the master cylinder and proportioning valve doesn't let the fronts do diddly squat in reverse.

I did a how-to here: Maybe some of the pictures might help to sort out the mechanical stuff?

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/ho...-8-25-a-58947/
Very nice!

I may have been a little harsh with my last post, but I just HATE it when someone puts words in my mouth in an attempt to make me look bad/foolish.

Quick Reply: Help!!Weird Brake issue