Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

help! starts in drive

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 10:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: straight 6
Default help! starts in drive

89 jeep cherokee limited 4x4 4.0 inline 6

Alight so heres the issue when i got the truck it wouldnt stay started, inless the started was engaged for about 30 seconds after it was running. Got that issue fixed by putting in an aftermarket ignition. then it wasnt getting fuel turned out to be the electrical plug was swamped in mud. cleaned the mud off, fuel pump worked. got those 2 issues fixed. then it wouldnt crank at all turned out to be the neutral safty switch got that all cleaned out and changed out the starter relay. which was also bad and ran all new wires (ground,ignition,starter sol,12v,and fuel pump). so it FINALY starts again after all that. now i have a new issue it starts in drive even though the shifter is in park or neutral, and as soon as it is running it will jump forward and start going. the only thing that happend before this issue, i was trying to get it out of park into neutral and i ramed it back real hard and it landed in drive and the reverse lights were stuck on and i put it back in park and they went off they do not currently work in any gear
anyone had this issue or may know what it is?
Old 06-14-2009, 10:48 PM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Neutral safety switch is either broken or loose. Get under there and check on it.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:44 PM

i will look again but the thing is the shifter is in park not drive and when it starts its in drive
Old 06-15-2009, 01:10 AM

found this one on the side of the block near the top the housing is snaped so the cables really loose not sure what this ones too

this is the cable on the top of the block with the throddle cable which im going to guess is why my tranny shifts at like 4100rpm in all gears and yes that green thing is a ziptie holding it on there

ok so i found the issue with the shifter im guessing when i yanked the **** out of the shifter the other day the the piece that holds the rod on to that houseing poped out and it was in D when i pulled it so thats why it was in D i know for sure i pushed it back in and it put it into park so i need that replaced keeps poping back out

so thats like 3cables that needs to be replaced it starts in park now
but its still got an issue with holding the starter engaged for about 30seconds after running its not grinding the gears inless you try to take it out of park and drives fine after disengaging the starter still would love to find a fix for that problem