Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Help rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 03:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help rough idle

Renix limited 90 starts up great idles like complete crap. Just happened randomly. It literally just about dies the idle gets so low an jumps up and down rpm line to other line. When i take off it runs great no problems at all till i come to a stop and its bad! Feels like I'm going to run out of gas. My guess is the tps but I'm scared to replace it. Anyone know easy cheap ways to fix this? Thank you.. Also my air intake is Loud! Really loud!! Sounds like if you get too close it'll suck your face in! Don't know what to do. I have a spectra aftermarket intake.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:55 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Start with basics.

What kind of condition are all your vacuum lines in?

Snug up your intake manifold bolts.

Last tune-up including plugs, wires, cap and rotor?

Ever do a ground refreshing or C101 cleaning on it? That's numbers 1 and 2 in the link in my signature.

Clean your throttle body and IAC.

Courtesy of TJWalker:

--------------------------------------------------------------------
The Idle Air Control (IAC) is mounted on the back of the throttle body. (front for 87-90) The valve controls the idle speed of the engine by controlling the amount of air flowing through the air control passage. It consists of a stepper motor that moves a pintle shaped plunger in and out of the air control passage. When the valve plunger is moved in, the air control passage flows more air which raises the idle speed. When the valve plunger is moved out, the air control passage flows less air which lowers the idle speed. Over time and miles, the IAC can get carboned up which can have an adverse affect on idle quality. Cleaning the IAC may restore proper function and is an easy procedure to perform and good preventive maintenance so it is never a bad idea.

CLEANING THE JEEP 4.0 IDLE AIR CONTROL

Remove the air filter cover, associated hoses and the rubber boot that goes from the air filter cover to the throttle body. Remove the IAC with a torx driver (2 bolts; one can be kind of hard to get to)

"Gently" wiggle out the IAC from the throttle body. Gasket on the IAC can be re-used if it is not damaged

Clean the IAC with a spray can of throttle body cleaner; inexpensive and available at any place that sells auto parts. Throttle body cleaner is recommended rather than carburetor cleaner as it is less harsh, safe for throttle body coatings and is best for this task. Use cleaner, a rag and a toothbrush and or Q-Tips. Be gentle; don’t twist or pull on the pintle that protrudes from the IAC as it is fragile and you could damage it.

Thoroughly spray clean and flush where the IAC seats in the throttle body with the same spray cleaner

It is also a good idea to clean the entire throttle body itself, the butterfly valve inside of the throttle body and all associated linkage as long as you have things disassembled

Old 02-25-2013, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Start with basics.

What kind of condition are all your vacuum lines in?

Snug up your intake manifold bolts.

Last tune-up including plugs, wires, cap and rotor?

Ever do a ground refreshing or C101 cleaning on it? That's numbers 1 and 2 in the link in my signature.

Clean your throttle body and IAC.

Courtesy of TJWalker:

--------------------------------------------------------------------
The Idle Air Control (IAC) is mounted on the back of the throttle body. (front for 87-90) The valve controls the idle speed of the engine by controlling the amount of air flowing through the air control passage. It consists of a stepper motor that moves a pintle shaped plunger in and out of the air control passage. When the valve plunger is moved in, the air control passage flows more air which raises the idle speed. When the valve plunger is moved out, the air control passage flows less air which lowers the idle speed. Over time and miles, the IAC can get carboned up which can have an adverse affect on idle quality. Cleaning the IAC may restore proper function and is an easy procedure to perform and good preventive maintenance so it is never a bad idea.

CLEANING THE JEEP 4.0 IDLE AIR CONTROL

Remove the air filter cover, associated hoses and the rubber boot that goes from the air filter cover to the throttle body. Remove the IAC with a torx driver (2 bolts; one can be kind of hard to get to)

"Gently" wiggle out the IAC from the throttle body. Gasket on the IAC can be re-used if it is not damaged

Clean the IAC with a spray can of throttle body cleaner; inexpensive and available at any place that sells auto parts. Throttle body cleaner is recommended rather than carburetor cleaner as it is less harsh, safe for throttle body coatings and is best for this task. Use cleaner, a rag and a toothbrush and or Q-Tips. Be gentle; don’t twist or pull on the pintle that protrudes from the IAC as it is fragile and you could damage it.

Thoroughly spray clean and flush where the IAC seats in the throttle body with the same spray cleaner

It is also a good idea to clean the entire throttle body itself, the butterfly valve inside of the throttle body and all associated linkage as long as you have things disassembled
Iv noticed 2 things different that may cause this i think? The hole and the red filter fell off i just put it back on ?
Attached Thumbnails Help rough idle-image-1303558525.jpg   Help rough idle-image-1038167425.jpg   Help rough idle-image-3220892818.jpg  
Old 02-25-2013, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by grat134

Iv noticed 2 things different that may cause this i think? The hole and the red filter fell off i just put it back on ?
And this is dirty
Attached Thumbnails Help rough idle-image-1891263079.jpg  
Old 02-25-2013, 03:17 PM

Fix the vacuum line leaks first but don't discount the laundry list I already gave you. Many times it's a combination of things that cause issues, not just one.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee

Looks like the ground strap got hot and melted the vac. line. Sounds like something else you should check into
Old 02-25-2013, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by chipmaker
Looks like the ground strap got hot and melted the vac. line. Sounds like something else you should check into
Nice catch Chipmaker.

A ground refreshing is certainly in order along with battery terminal cleaning. That strap needs to be replaced with the upgraded one from Napa as described in my write-up.