Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

HELP PLEASE!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 h.o.
Question HELP PLEASE!!

i have a 95 two door cherokee i just installed a 3 in lift on the front and i have a REAL and i mean REAL bad viberation around 50-55. its so bad i cant control it on the road is there anything i need to change? the lift was a 3in spacer lift poly
Old 05-09-2009, 04:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

welcome to death wobble.....try a TC drop
Old 05-09-2009, 04:38 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000

what year is the jeep are you using the stock control arms have you replaced any of the bushings. is the steering dampner in need or replacement is the track bar worn any of this can cause the vibration you are having
Old 05-09-2009, 04:39 PM
CF Veteran

oh and welcome aboard from socal
Old 05-09-2009, 04:41 PM

how are your front rotors and calipers? i had that same wobble thursday had to have the whole front brake system changed calipers where shot and rotors were warped like no other ...or u may just need SYE or something also agree with t-drop as stated above..
Old 05-09-2009, 04:42 PM
CF Veteran

since he has only done the front it is death wobble not vibrations from the rear
Old 05-09-2009, 04:45 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: Sold my 1991 to go to school for 2 years.
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by carolinajeep69
i have a 95 two door cherokee i just installed a 3 in lift on the front and i have a REAL and i mean REAL bad viberation around 50-55. its so bad i cant control it on the road is there anything i need to change? the lift was a 3in spacer lift poly
I'd start with double checking to make sure everything is tight and check your track bar for play. All of the stuff that a1racer mentioned can contribute to DW as well. Basically check everything in the front end for play and go from there. A lack of a t-case drop, while it might be causing some of your vibes, shouldn't make it shake so bad its un-driveable at that lift height.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by BudgetXJ
I'd start with double checking to make sure everything is tight and check your track bar for play. All of the stuff that a1racer mentioned can contribute to DW as well. Basically check everything in the front end for play and go from there. A lack of a t-case drop, while it might be causing some of your vibes, shouldn't make it shake so bad its un-driveable at that lift height.
yea ive been reading up alot on here bout the t case drop in my steering arms or w.e. i can grab em and move em back and fourth a little but some one told me you should have a little play in em but idk this is my first jeep thats why im askin for so much advice i hearm maybe shimming the rear end to after i check the front end and make sure its tight and the vibe still there should i try the shimmimg?
Old 05-13-2009, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by a1racer
what year is the jeep are you using the stock control arms have you replaced any of the bushings. is the steering dampner in need or replacement is the track bar worn any of this can cause the vibration you are having
i have a 95 two door and everything under the front is still factory beside the coil spring spacers and also i have replace my rotors and brakes about two weeks before i installed the lift do you think if i get the 3 in longer "pitman" arm? is that the bar coming from my steering box? would that maybe fix my problem and put all my stuff up front a it stock hieght?
Old 05-13-2009, 05:22 PM

Year: 1985 shell
Engine: 1996 6 cylinder Briggs & Stratton

Check your alignment, when you lifted it you changed the geometry of the front end causing more toe out than will play nice
Old 05-13-2009, 05:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1998

i have a 95 two door and everything under the front is still factory beside the coil spring spacers and also i have replace my rotors and brakes about two weeks before i installed the lift do you think if i get the 3 in longer "pitman" arm? is that the bar coming from my steering box? would that maybe fix my problem and put all my stuff up front a it stock hieght?
try the track bar mod. if it doesnt fix it your only out a drill bit.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:27 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

mine did the same, i put on a 5inch lift and it wobbled badly around 50 to 55 mph. it was because my alignment was off you may want to check that.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:28 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: I6 4.0 High Output - Bored +20 Out

I had the same problem about 2 weeks ago! What lift did you put on? I had a Rough Country 3' Susupension II Lift. Front Coils and back Leafs. Drove it down the road, had a bad wabble, took it to get an Alignment thinking that was the problem. NOPE, still had the wabble. So my hubby started looking for loose bolts and found that the steering stabilizer was loose (we upgraded to a better one with the lift kit). But that wasnt the problem. We bought a new trac bar becuase mine moved just a little bit, but NOPE. It turned out to be the sway bar bushings! They are only about $12.99 at Kragen O'riles (Auto Zone doesnt carrie them).

Good Luck! Hope you can find the problem before you spend a bunch of money!

(Also, did you replace your trac bar with a new one? If not, with a 3' lift you chould be moving your front axel to where it isnt centered. My lift came with instructions saying to drill a new hole 3/4 of an inch towards the drivers side for the trac bar. Center your steering wheel/wheels and see if one side of your tires sticks out farther then the other, if so you may need a new adjustable trac bar, or drill a hole, call the lift supplier and see what they say)
Old 05-13-2009, 05:29 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by radio flyer
Check your alignment, when you lifted it you changed the geometry of the front end causing more toe out than will play nice
this is a good point to listen to any time you lift the jeep it messes with your toe and can cause issues an alignment should be your first priority after a lift
Old 05-13-2009, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by a1racer
this is a good point to listen to any time you lift the jeep it messes with your toe and can cause issues an alignment should be your first priority after a lift
well ill go friday and get an alignment i certianly do appreciate it and if this doesnt fix it ill try my track bar i shouldof kknown the alignment ive alsways had toyotas and nissans and when i lifted em i had to re align the front end but they had indepent front suspension so it was pretty obvious