Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

help out a newcomer please!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default help out a newcomer please!!

hows it going guys im new to the jeep game so please bare with me I'm sure there are plenty of threads about this so I'm sorry... I recently got a 99 Cherokee sport I noticed the jeep was dripping a little oil didn't worry about it because I know it's a typical thing for jeeps since my wife's jeep does it too and hers is stock never off roaded or anything. the oil drips are coming from the oil pan area I checked the plug and it wasn't that I saw online people say it could be the oil filter adaptor but I didn't see any oil around it so I wasn't too sure also on my jeep and my wife's the oil pressure gauge drops once the jeep is warmed up and when they come to a stop idk if it could all be related or if the oil pressure sensor is bad and causing it to drop but any help with the dripping oil and bad oil pressure would be greatly appreciated! thanks guys!
Old 03-24-2013, 10:07 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

To find the leak, you're going to need to degrease the underside and then start it up and look for where the oil is coming from. Starting looking at the top of the engine (the valve cover gasket is a common leak) and work your way down (the oil pan gasket and rear main seal.) In between is the distributor and oil pressure sending unit and oil filter adapter. There are a lot of threads about finding leaks, look to them for more advice.

It's ok for oil pressure to drop once it's warmed, but it could be a problem if you are reading 0 psi at hot idle though.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:13 PM

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Year: 98, 00, 01 and another 01
Model: Cherokee
Engine: both 01 jeeps have viper coil pack

valve cover bolts are usually 11mm. Are the snug?