Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Help OBD2 Wifi Device Shorted and Smoked!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default Help OBD2 Wifi Device Shorted and Smoked!!!

1996 XJ Country here. I got a lower priced OBD2 Wifi-connecting unit from eBay. I went to install it and the moment I plugged it in it went poof smoke inside of the unit I had plugged in. I only had the door open and the dome lights on - nothing else was engaged. I searched high and low on the internet and I'm not really seeing this happen for anyone else. Has anyone here ever had an OBD2 plug go to ****? I assume I just got hit by chinesium statistical regularity and the supplier stated that there is a one-year warranty and is sending another one. I cannot see any visible chort inside the unit because the plastic is too dark (see pic). Still - I'm worried my ECU got fried in the process. I also lost a weekend of tuning. Any ideas?

POINTER
Old 11-12-2018, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

Old 11-13-2018, 03:08 AM
awg
CF Veteran

Received 605 Likes on 515 Posts
Year: 96
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Pointer
1996 XJ Country here. I got a lower priced OBD2 Wifi-connecting unit from eBay. I went to install it and the moment I plugged it in it went poof smoke inside of the unit I had plugged in. I only had the door open and the dome lights on - nothing else was engaged. I searched high and low on the internet and I'm not really seeing this happen for anyone else. Has anyone here ever had an OBD2 plug go to ****? I assume I just got hit by chinesium statistical regularity and the supplier stated that there is a one-year warranty and is sending another one. I cannot see any visible chort inside the unit because the plastic is too dark (see pic). Still - I'm worried my ECU got fried in the process. I also lost a weekend of tuning. Any ideas?

POINTER
I have 2 x 4/96, and a 10/96. When I connected the $17 Wifi unit to the 10/96 it worked (but called out OBD1)

Connected to one of the 4/96, and it wont link or show data

works fine on a 2005 vehicle

If your car still runs & drives, the ECU would be ok presumably

As all my vehicles have OBD2 ports, (and other features of OBD2), I dont know why the tool calls out OBD2

It might be worth checking the harness for shorts, its in a slightly vulnerable spot

Last edited by awg; 11-13-2018 at 03:10 AM.