Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Help diagnosing a problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 6
Default Help diagnosing a problem?

Owned my '97 4.0 cherokee country and hung out on these forums for over a year and a half now, but this is my first post.. whatsup guys

When I first bought it I had to replace the leaking head gasket, then have just recently replaced my entire cooling system and water pump other than that the thing has been perfect for me , but now my ac compressor clutch starts acting up and on the way to my local indy mech., who had a cheap used compressor( and is about 3-4 miles away), my serp belt snapped and within one minute she pegged into the red and I shut it off within a realistic 20 secs, let cool down and on my way again running at around 215-220degrees until if jumped into the red again right before I was there. so I shut her off again to let cool and when finally arriving she was spitting out some coolant and some smoke also

my mech said she's fine just got a little hot because the water pump hadn't been working...

So he replaced the compressor and belt and called me saying good to go, until the drive home one mile into it check engine light comes on and then I notice that my thermostat is not working and not heating up. followed by one minute later she just dies. And now will crank forever but wont turn over unless you give it alot of gas.
While giving it gas and at speed it seem to drive fine, also oil pressure is fine... just no thermostat now, check engine light on, and dies when/if no gas is given?
Are these symptoms that I did damage to the head like cracking or warping? Possibly because the gasket was even leaking alittle again after it had been replaced. Also wouldn't I not have any oil pressure if cracking was the case?
Any advice would be much appreciated as I can't get ahold of my mech. until monday and I'm kinda stressing out thinking that some serious damage has just occurred... * jeep has 149k miles btw*

Last edited by kydspd; 09-26-2009 at 12:58 PM.
Old 09-26-2009, 12:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0

The best advise I can give you is buy a coolant pressure tester and check your coolant system for any leaks,any head problems will also show up. A cracked head does not have any effect on oil pressure,a bad pump or bearings will but that is not your problem here.
The testers are about $50-$60,it is how your mechanic will check it also.
Have you checked your oil for any signs of water?

Last edited by Abovetimberline; 09-26-2009 at 12:40 PM.
Old 09-26-2009, 12:56 PM

I'm assuming that whatever is going on occurred from overheating, but at the same time not sure if my mech. is where the problem originated. and I'm probably not going to invest in a coolant pressure tester, now i love collecting tools, don't get me wrong btw thanks AbovetheTline, but I am on limited funds right now, and my crackpot mech will probably tow it for me fairly cheap upon request.

I'm just trying to really feel out if this sounds like something more serious or the not thatserious

i hope this thing didn't crack, that would be ridiculous as years ago i drove my older bmw with an aluminum head, much more prone to crack in the red for much longer, by accident of course, and it was fine..
Old 09-26-2009, 01:03 PM
CF Veteran

I understand the funds thing,not wanting to start easy can be an indication of low compression,which can be caused by a warped or leaking head gasket,if it was leaking before it is a good chance you have made it worse by overheating again. heads are easy to come by if it turns out to be the problem.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Abovetimberline
I understand the funds thing,not wanting to start easy can be an indication of low compression,which can be caused by a warped or leaking head gasket,if it was leaking before it is a good chance you have made it worse by overheating again. heads are easy to come by if it turns out to be the problem.
yeah i'm super limited on funds, and have even spent over 600 in tools for my other car doing susp. work recently(no more), and the jeep is my second car but its also my dailydriver*cough* was my DD

anyway i digress, do you then happen to know of any cheap/but reliable lol, place where I could source a new head. I'd like to know and research ahead of time. I just have a bad feeling this time. but the oil seems normal and fresh, no coolant or water seem to be in it, very clean since i had had just changed it 1kmiles previous

Last edited by kydspd; 09-26-2009 at 01:22 PM.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:39 PM
CF Veteran

I always get my heads and such from the local jy,there in good shape,I just spend a little time to make sure they have good compression and then have them checked for cracks. I pay about $50 for one.
Old 09-26-2009, 02:21 PM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Cool

If I'm not mistaken, your coolant temp sensor is located on the thermostat housing up front . It could be very possible that when the belt flew off it might have clipped the sensor and damage it. It also could have been dislodged by accident. The point I wish to make is that your temp sensor has two functions......1) temp gauge in the dash....2) communicates with the ecm to adjust pw on the injectors. When you unplug that sensor it automaticly sends the ecm a lie that the engine is above 225 degrees and it leans out the fuel mixture which would cause hard/no start, and when you have the accelator at half throttle or greater you over ride that signal and the injector pulse is returned to normal. Go check the pigtail on the temp sensor and see it is loose, damaged, or disconnected. Let me know ok.
Old 09-26-2009, 03:02 PM
Registered Users

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2000 @ 1994 givin away

kydspd try clearwater cylinder heads (1-800-572-1963) i got a new head for my 2000 xj for 350.00 with 2-5 year warrenty
Old 09-26-2009, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Willys55
If I'm not mistaken, your coolant temp sensor is located on the thermostat housing up front . It could be very possible that when the belt flew off it might have clipped the sensor and damage it. It also could have been dislodged by accident. The point I wish to make is that your temp sensor has two functions......1) temp gauge in the dash....2) communicates with the ecm to adjust pw on the injectors. When you unplug that sensor it automaticly sends the ecm a lie that the engine is above 225 degrees and it leans out the fuel mixture which would cause hard/no start, and when you have the accelator at half throttle or greater you over ride that signal and the injector pulse is returned to normal. Go check the pigtail on the temp sensor and see it is loose, damaged, or disconnected. Let me know ok.
Thanks for the great insight! I want to go check it right now but it's dark and pouring rain here in PA
as soon as I get a chance i will check it

Originally Posted by rich
kydspd try clearwater cylinder heads (1-800-572-1963) i got a new head for my 2000 xj for 350.00 with 2-5 year warrenty
Good info. appreciated, thanks bro
Old 09-26-2009, 09:17 PM

Year: 2001
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 litre

check the belt routing . The direction of the belt could be the wrong way. That might have been the cause, a broken tstat could cause it to run cool .. I doubt the engine is bad . cracked head would leak coolant into the oil so look for a mix.. also make sure he coolant temp sensor is workin ok ..check the plugs now too after a serious overheat. I'd would just replace them.. change the oil if all seems well .

Last edited by 2000grandcherokee1; 09-26-2009 at 09:24 PM.