Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5
Default Help!

Yesterday my heater worked fine, today nothing. Checked everything, no power to anything. Now I got no cranking of the engine?! Anyone hear of anything like this? I don't want to be tearing my dash apart and going through the wiring harness at 10 below zero and colder. Help please!
Old 01-14-2012, 08:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Jeepnfm
Yesterday my heater worked fine, today nothing. Checked everything, no power to anything. Now I got no cranking of the engine?! Anyone hear of anything like this? I don't want to be tearing my dash apart and going through the wiring harness at 10 below zero and colder. Help please!
Can you define no power to anything? It sounds like the relay for heater control went. That's a simple fix. If you went to start XJ today and now it won't start, I'll bet it's your battery. You said its cold, so maybe it's just in need of a boost?
Old 01-14-2012, 08:32 PM

No, the battery is fine, started fine today, ran fine today, blower motor for reasons beyond my comprehension just wouldn't work today. Pulled the fuses, they are good. Checked the resistor, it's good. Checked the fan speed switch I put in three days ago, it's good. Checked the heater control switch, it's good. Zero power to any wires that connect to all of these. Jumped power from the battery to the blower, works fine. Go to start the Jeep again, lights, fuel pump comes on, turn the key... Nothing happens. Pull the starter, jump it from the battery, works great. Install everything again, turn the key... Nothing. Pull the entire dash, start getting pissed off, holding the key in the start position I start moving wires... Nothing. Holding the key in start I punch the crap out of everything in arms length in the dash... Starter turns for one crank and stops. Why the PO thought he needed to "improve" on the factory wiring I have no idea, but I have replaced many of his "improvements", got a feeling if I cut open the wiring harness I'm gonna find more...
Old 01-14-2012, 08:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99

Damn man. Those electrical gremlins. Sounds like you're a step or two ahead of me on what to do.. Good luck...
Old 01-14-2012, 09:17 PM

Yeah... Forecast is calling for -30 temps, great time to play with a wiring harness in your driveway...
Old 01-14-2012, 09:31 PM

Year: 1988
Model: Wagoneer

Sounds like the ignition switch. When mine went out everything quit working.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by dirts4racin2
Sounds like the ignition switch. When mine went out everything quit working.
I've heard of that problem... How hard was it to get out? Is it just behind the dash?
Old 01-15-2012, 04:31 PM

Fixed it!!! Holy nightmare Batman!!! Well now I got a nice new wiring harness hand made under the dash in -30 temps but she fire up and blows some lovely hot air.